Avial is a gravy dish made from a number of vegetables. It is normally thickened by using yoghurt and coconut. Other ingredients like drumsticks, slices of mangoes and seeds of jack fruit are also used for the purpose of making avial.
Ingredients for Making Avial
Following are the various ingredients that are needed to make avial:
Process for Making Avial
- Yam - 150 gms
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Ash gourd - 150 gms
- Curry leaves - few
- Raw bananas - 2 nos
- Coconut oil - 1/4 cup
- Drumsticks - 2 nos
- Salt to taste
- Potato - 1 no
- Paste - Coconut1/2
- Shelled peas - 1/2 cup
- Green chillies - 6-7 nos.
- Sour curd - 1 cup
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp.
- The coconut, cumin seeds and green chillies need to be ground together for making a fine paste. A little amount of water also needs to be added to this mixture for making the paste. Now the curd has to be mixed with the paste and kept aside.
- The vegetables have to be peeled and chopped into lengths of 3 inch each.
- The vegetables have to cooked separately in a vessel with a heavy bottom. Little water needs to be used in this case.
- After cooking the vegetables they need to be mixed with turmeric powder and salt.
- The paste has to be added to this and the entire mixture has to be heated through. However, curdling needs to be prevented.
- The curry leaves and coconut oil have to be added to this and should be mixed properly. However, it should not be heated.
- Avial is ready and can be served warm along with rice.