Dama oluv is a North Indian cuisine having its origin in Kashmir. This vegetarian dish is a potato preparation enjoyed with chapattis, parathas, and rice. Dama oluv is a popular recipe throughout world locations.
The ingredients for preparing ‘dama oluv’ are:
Preparing Dama oluv
- 1 kg medium sized round potatoes;
- 1 cup mustard oil;
- 3 nos of cloves;
- ˝ cup curd;
- 2 tsp of red chili powder;
- 1 tsp of aniseed powder;
- 1 tsp of ‘garam masala’;
- 1 tsp of ginger powder;
- 1 tsp of mixed cinnamon, black pepper, and cardamom powders;
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds;
- ˝ tsp of turmeric powder;
- 1 pinch asafetida;
- Salt to taste;
- 1 cup mustard oil.
Dama oluv is universally liked by vegetarians as well as non-vegetarians and is a favorite dish among people of all ages.
- Begin by boiling unpeeled potatoes for 10 to 15 minutes;
- After cooling them, peel off and prick the potatoes on all sides with toothpicks;
- Thereafter, in a vessel fry the potatoes in mustard oil on medium heat. Turn the potatoes frequently so they are fried uniformly. Continue frying till the potatoes lose moisture and turn golden yellow;
- Remove fried potatoes from the vessel and drain excess oil by placing them on tissue;
- Transfer the left ever oil from the vessel to a steel pan of about 2 liters capacity;
- Add cumin seeds, cloves and asafetida to the warm oil, stir and resume heating. Then add turmeric and red chili powder to this and stir with a tablespoon of water. Continue stirring till oil separates and takes the color of turmeric and chili powders.
- Then add the curd (whisked with little water), ginger and aniseed powders and continue stirring till spices, oil and curd blend perfectly.
- Put the fried potatoes in the pan and mix them well with the gravy. Add sufficient water to immerse the potatoes completely, cover the pan, and cook on low heat for about thirty minutes.
- After about half an hour when the gravy thickens and the potatoes turn golden brown add the mixture of black pepper, cinnamon and cardamom powders, and ‘garam masala’. With the help of spatula mix these well with the prepared potatoes.
- Dama oluv is ready to be served