It is a vegetarian dish It is a low calorie food It is easy to digest
Dosa sambar is a favorite of health conscious people who want to eat tasty food as well.
• Rice flour
• Urad dal flour
• Toor dal
• Sambar powder
• Tamarind paste
Dosa sambar is the staple food of the entire South Indian belt as well as South Indians living all over the world. However, dosa sambar is also liked by people who want to stay fit and eat tasty food at the same time.
Ingredients for Dosa
Following are the main ingredients for making dosa:
- 3 cups rice flour
- 1 tsp yeast
- 2 ½ cups urad dal flour
- Salt to taste
Following steps are taken for making a dosa:
- The urad dal flour and rice flour are mixed in a big bowl or container. Any lump should be broken.
- Water needs to be added to this for making the batter uniform. The batter should not be too thick or watery.
- A tea spoon of yeast and two to three tea spoons of warm water should be mixed in a small bowl to form a paste.
- This should be added to the dosa batter and mixed properly. This mixture should be kept at a warm place so that the yeast can function effectively.
- The batter swells up considerably after fermentation for sixty minutes. This has to be mixed properly.
- To this has to be added the requisite amount of salt and it has to be mixed again.
- ¾th of a ladle has to be filled with dosa batter and it has to be poured at the center of the pan. After this the batter has to be spread. After spreading the dosa a basting brush has to be dipped in oil and oil has to be drizzled on the surface of the dosa. After some moment the dosa has to be flipped over and cooked for a minute. After this it has to be folded and cooked for half a minute.
There are various ingredients for making sambar. They are as follows:
- 1 cup toor dal
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 tomato, chopped in big pieces
- 1 ½ -2 tsp sambar powder
- 4-5 drumsticks
- A pinch of turmeric
- ½ tsp tamarind paste
- Salt to taste.
Following are needed to season the sambar:
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2-3 red chillies
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves
- ½ tsp urad dal
- A pinch of asafoetida/hing
Following procedure is followed for making sambar:
- The dal has to be cooked till it is mushy and soft. Then it has to be kept aside.
- Oil has to be taken in a pan and heated. The ingredients for seasoning have to be added to it.
- The chopped onions have to be added to it and it has to be sauted. The tomatoes have to be added to it and cooked for a couple of minutes. The drumsticks have to be added to this.
- Chilli, sambar, coriander and turmeric powder has to be added to it and mixed well. This has to be covered and cooked for a couple of minutes. This is done to permit various flavors to combine with each other. After this the tamarind paste has to be added to it and it has to be cooked for a couple of minutes.
- The dal has to be added to this mixture and the flavors have to be allowed to blend. An adequate amount of water has to be added to it to properly execute the dish.