Jhol could be made both with fish as well as meat. It is a curry, which is among the globally recognizable dishes of India. However, jhol may also be prepared with vegetables and this can be a healthy option for people suffering from diseases or for those who are not completely fit and are recuperating.
Ingredients for Macher Jhol
Following are the ingredients for making macher jhol or fish curry:
Making Macher Jhol
- 1 lb fish (freshwater fishes such as carp or catfish are preferable. They have to be cut in to pieces
- 3/4'' thick along with bones and skin)
- 5-6 hot peppers
- 1 cup mustard oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1-1.5 tbsp mustard paste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsps turmeric
Following procedures are followed for making macher jhol:
Ingredients for Mangsher Jhol
- Fish pieces have to be smeared with salt and 1 table spoon turmeric and this has to be set aside for a couple of minutes.
- In a deep pan mustard oil has to be heated. The fish pieces have to be fried in a light way until they turn golden yellow on each side.
- Mustard paste, salt and remaining turmeric have to be dissolved in one and a half cup of warm water.
- Hot peppers need to be sliced and added to the mustard paste.
- A couple of drops of mustard oil have to be added to the paste.
- The sauce has to be boiled in a saucepan and the fish pieces have to be added to it.
- This has to simmer till the paste has thickened a bit and fish has become soft.
- This should be removed from heat and cooled.
- Once cooled it should be sprinkled with lemon juice and served along with white rice.
Following are main ingredients of mangsher jhol or mutton curry:
It may also be remembered that mangsher jhol could be made with chicken as well.
- 800-1000 grams of mutton, cut into approximately 2-3 cm cubes, washed and drained
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 3 potatoes,peeled and halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3-4 cm long cinnamon
- 3-4 tablespoon of ginger, pasted
- 3-4 pieces of cloves
- 2 teaspoon of garlic, pasted
- 2 pieces of cardamom
- 8 tablespoons of vinegar
- salt, to taste
- 4 medium sized tomato, smashed
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- Extra i teaspoon garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder, or to taste
- Extra 1 teaspoon onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon Ghee or butter
Making Mangsher Jhol
Following procedures are used for making mangsher jhol:
- The drained meat should be basted with vinegar and kept aside for 5 minutes.
- Now the tomatoes, chilli, coriander, turmeric powder, ginger, 2 table spoons of oil and garlic need to be mixed together.
- The meat has to be added to this and mixed thoroughly and then set aside.
5 to 6 tablespoons of oil have to be heated have to be heated in a big saucepan with a heavy bottom and the potatoes have to be stirfried in that. Now they have to be set aside.
- Bayleaves, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves have to be added in that oil itself.
- The sliced onions have to be added to this and have to be stirfried till they become light brown.
- Now salt and the meat mixture have to be added to this.
- This has to be stir fried in low heat till the oil comes out of the dried meat.
- Sugar has to be added and stirred thoroughly.
- Potatoes have to be added as well as boiled water sufficient enough to engulf the potatoes and meat.
- This has to be covered and cooked on low to medium heat till the meat is ready.
- This may be stirred on occasions. Some boiled water may also be added to add to the gravy.
- The slices of onion and garlic have to be heated in either butter or ghee in a frying pan.
- Now they may be sprinkled atop the curry.