Meen vevichathu, a dish of Kerala is loved by both young and old. It is a red fish curry typical to the style of Kerala. It is a rich preparation, which contains high protein. Extremely yummy, the dish would definitely remind you of the varied flavors and spices of India.
It is easy to prepare the recipe of Meen vevichathu. Even if you don’t do much of cooking at home, you can try out this Kerala dish. However, you should be careful in handling things.
Meen Vevichathu Recipe
- Fish pieces
- Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- Chopped onion
- Shredded ginger
- Fenugreek powder
- Chopped garlic
- Chilly powder
- Turmeric powder
- Coriander powder
- Tamarind Pulp
Method of Preparing Meen Vevichathu
- Firstly, fish is cleaned and kept aside.
- Little oil is taken in a cooking pan and mustard seed is added to it.
- After mustard seeds crackle, curry leaves along with chopped onion, ginger and garlic are added. It is fried for sometime.
- Then, chilly powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder is added. The ingredients are tossed properly and fried for another 2-3 minutes.
- Tamarind pulp and fenugreek powder are also added along with water.
- The mixture is allowed to boil for sometime.
- Then pieces of fish are added to it. The flame is simmered until the fish is tender and gets cooked.
- In between, the gravy is stirred and after the gravy gets thickened, it is removed from gas stove.
Tip: This red fish curry is best liked with boiled rice.