Murg musallam is a typical North-west Indian recipe preferred universally by all non-vegetarians. This spicy and rich whole chicken preparation is a main course food item enjoyed with rice, pulao, rotis or parathas.
The ingredients for preparing murg musallam include:
- 1 whole chicken of approximate 1 kg weight, cleaned and de-entrailed;
- 250 gm ghee (clarified butter);
- 20 gm coriander seeds;
- 20 gm cumin seeds;
- 4 sliced medium-sized onions;
- 4 garlic flakes;
- 2 ginger pods;
- 2 green chilies;
- 1 tbsp raw papaya paste;
- 2 tsp almond slivers;
- 2 tsp red chili powder;
- 1 tsp turmeric powder;
- 1 cup curd;
- Salt to taste;
- ‘Masala’ made from 8 garlic cloves, 50 gm desiccated coconut, 20 gm chironji, 8gm green cardamom, 5 gm poppy seeds, 5 gm black pepper, and 5 gm cinnamon
The steps for preparing this delicious cuisine are as follows:
Murg musallam is a typical Indian cuisine in the entire world.
- At the outset clean and wash the whole chicken thoroughly with water and with a fork prick it all over.
- With the papaya paste and salt marinate it for a minimum of 2 hours
- Heat clarified butter (ghee) in a pan and then fry half of the onion slices to a golden brown color; keep it aside
- Grind the remaining half portion of onion slices to a paste;
- Make a paste of ginger and garlic, keep it aside;
- Dry roast the ‘masala’ on a griddle and thereafter make it into a paste;
- Similarly, roast cumin and coriander on a griddle and grind them into a paste;
- Add these two pastes with curd in a bowl and blend them well;
- Marinate the chicken with this paste for about 30 minutes;
- Add fried onions, turmeric powder, red chili powder, ginger and garlic paste, and green chilies to heated oil in a pan;
- Fry till it becomes golden brown;
- Add the marinated chicken and allow it to boil till ghee surfaces on the chicken and turns tender;
- Place the contents on a dish, garnish with almond sliver and serve hot;
- Enjoy murg musallam with rice, pulao, paratha, or roti.