Thayir Sadam is a curd rice recipe in Tamil Nadu.
It is good for health for the recipe is high on nutrition.
hayir Sadam is a popular recipe of Tamil Nadu. In Tamil, Thayir refers to Curd and Sadam refers to rice.
• Grated ginger
• Fresh curd
• Black gram lentils
• Mustard seeds
• Bengal gram lentils
Thayir Sadam, a famous delicacy of Tamil Nadu is also known as yogurt rice or yoghurt rice. Though originating in Tamil Nadu, it is one of the most loved recipes of India. This Indian cuisine is mouth watering and less spicy. It is also prepared in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Karnataka.
Thayir Sadam Recipe
- Grated ginger
- Fresh curd
- Green chilies
- Coriander leaves
Ingredients for seasoning:
- Black gram lentils
- Mustard seeds
- Bengal gram lentils
Method of Preparing Thayir Sadam
- Rice is sieved, washed and boiled. Later it is cooled and mashed.
- In the mashed rice, milk is added and kept aside.
- A cooking pan is taken and white oil is heated in it. Then mustard seeds are crackled in it. After this, Bengal gram lentils along with black grams are added to this.
- It is tossed in oil until light golden in color. Then chopped green chilies are added.
- These are stirred for sometime and then grated ginger is added. It is sautéed for about 2 minutes.
- Then, rice with milk is poured over this. Curd along with asafetida is mixed.
- Then salt is added according to taste.
- Finally, it is garnished with coriander leaves.
Tip: Curd rice is often eaten accompanied by South Indian pickles of mango or Lime.
Note: Curd rice can also be prepared without milk. However, adding more curd to the dish would make the consistency of the gravy quite thick. Other ingredients and method of preparation remains the same. However, you could add a little butter, cucumbers, grated carrots, green sweet grapes and raw mango to the dish. This would enhance the taste of the recipe of Thayir Sadam.