Jammu and Kashmir is a treasure trove of handicrafts. The various tribes residing in the valley, the Mughal connection, the Persians and then the Tibetans have continuously contributed to and enriched the tradition of art and crafts in Srinagar. Kashmiri artifacts are by now so popular among the people all over the country and abroad, that these are available all over India and a large part of it is exported to feed the demand of Kashmiri handicrafts outside India. However, buying a pashmina shawl or a phiran from Srinagar still means more to us than buying it from Kashmiri handicrafts emporium near home. The craze for art and crafts in Srinagar therefore still is raging among tourists visiting Srinagar.
Art and Crafts in Srinagar- an Overview
By virtue of being the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir and the most popular tourist destination in the state, Srinagar is a veritable mini Kashmir. All sorts of articles manufactured in any part of the state are available in Srinagar. Some of the articles you can shop for in Srinagar are:
- Silverware- jewelery, carved utensils, photo frames, show pieces
- Brassware- lamp shades, show pieces, tumblers, cigarette cases etc.
- Wood carvings and furniture- exquisitely carved furniture
- Carpets and rugs- hand woven woolen and silk & cotton carpets
- Naqqashi worked cloth and garments- kameez, sarees, dress material
- Silk- garments, sarees
- Hand woven willow baskets
- Papier mache- boxes, Christmas decorations, vases
On a Srinagar Tour you must spend a good deal of your time and indeed money exploring the arts and crafts in Srinagar.Enquire Now