Located at the western end of the old street of Chandni Chowk in Delhi, Fatehpuri Masjid was built in 1650 by Mughal emperor Shahjahan’s wife, Fatehpuri Begum. Named after its creator, this red sandstone mosque is a beautiful specimen of the magnificence of Mughal architecture.
During the British rule, troops were stationed in Fathepuri Masjid in 1857 and later on it was confiscated and auctioned. It was at this place that many famous inter-religious debates took place in the past.
The main mosque is built on a three-and-a-half feet high platform. Its main dome is colossal and is flanked by two towering minarets. The prayer hall has seven arched openings of which the central arch is the highest, with kangaroos and large domes on both sides of it. There are strips of white marble on the arches and domes. The main dome is built of lime mortar and bears black and white strips.
Fatehpuri Masjid has three gates: one is right in front of the Red Fort and the other two are in the north and the south. Khari Baoli is in the north end and Katra Baryan in the south.
The central courtyard is laid with red stones. There are single and double-storied apartments on the sides. There are two verandas, 12 ft. apart, on both sides of the main arch, with kangaroos on their roofs also.
There is a very large tank (hauz) in the courtyard of the mosque. This marble tank is used for ablution.
The pulpit inside the mosque is built of marble and has four steps. Rows of red stone pillars stand on both sides of the mosque.
» History of Fatehpuri Masjid
Indianholiday.com offers online information on the Fatehpuri Masjid, Delhi and other monuments in India. For more information on the must visit destinations of India, please, enter your queries in the form below.
» Annual Events at Fatehpuri Masjid
» Fatehpuri Masjid Nearby Attractions
» Fatehpuri Masjid Fast Facts