Old Secretariat is the present seat of the Delhi Legislative Assembly. It is located on the main Ring Road just near the Civil Lines Metro Station. The building was constructed in 1912 to house the secretariat after the British capital was shifted from Kolkata to Delhi. The credit of the spectacular design goes to E. Montague Thomas.
The Old Secretariat is rich in enormous historical importance. When the first sitting of the Legislative Council of the Central Government was held here in the Chamber on 27th January 1913, history knew that the foundation of India's future Parliament was being laid. Till the completion of the Parliament House building, the Council continued to meet at the Old Secretariat. Its grand opening ceremony was performed on 18th January 1927.
After independence, the Old Secretariat was used for holding academic and cultural events till 1952 when Delhi got its own Assembly. However, the assembly was soon dissolved and then it served as a place where deliberations of the Metropolitan Council used to take place. Finally it became the seat of the Delhi Vidhan Sabha in 1993 when Delhi again won an assembly.
» Architecture of Old Secretariat
» Old Secretariat Nearby Attractions
» Old Secretariat Fast Facts
Indianholiday.com offers information on Old Secretariat in Delhi. For more information, please enter your query in the form below.