Keoladeo Ghana National Park or Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary as it is more commonly known as, is a wonder of the natural world as the Taj Mahal is to the human world.
Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary (Old Name)
Keoladeo National Park, Rajasthan (New Name)
- Any Bird Sanctuary in India? Keoladeo National Park
- Perfect Destination for bird lovers? Keoladeo National Park
- Nature’s beauty at its best? Keoladeo National Park
Keoladeo National Park (formerly known as Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary), in Bharatpur, Rajasthan, is home to more than 230 resident and migratory bird species in a protected area of 29 sq km. The largest Bird Reserve in India was declared as a protected sanctuary in the year 1971 and was included in UNESCO World Heritage Site list by the year 1985.
What is Keoladeo National Park known for?
Keoladeo National Park is a protected avifauna sanctuary and is most popular for hosting wide range of waterfowl and storks species.
When was this National Park established?
Keoladeo National Park is a man-made habitat established by Maharaja Suraj Mal. The town of Bharatpur, in the year 1760, was ravaged by floods and to protect the city, Ajan Dam was built. The dam led to the formation of depressions which were cleared to give birth to Bharatpur Lake.
In early 19th Century, the lake was distributed into many constituencies and became a popular bird hunting ground for the Royals.
By mid-19th Century, a ban was imposed on hunting activities. The area was announced as a National Park on 10 March 1982.
By 1985, it was included in UNESCO World Heritage Site list.
Where is Keoladeo National Park located?
Keoladeo National Park is located in Bharatpur district in the Indian state of Rajasthan.
How to reach Keoladeo National Park?
- By Air: The nearest airport to the National Park is Jaipur airport at a distance of 190 km
- By Rail: Bharatpur Junction, at a distance of 5 km is the closest railway station to the bird sanctuary.
- By Road: Bharatpur is well connected by roads from all major neighboring locations.
What is the best time to visit Keoladeo National Park?
The best months to a tour to Keoladeo National Park are from October to February as there are maximum numbers of migratory birds during this time and the weather is also comparatively pleasant.
What are the opening and closing timings of the National Park?
- Summers: 0600 hours to 1800 hours
- Winters: 0630 hours to 1700 hours
What are the charges inside the National Park?
- Entry: Indian: INR 25; Foreigner: INR 200
- Video: INR 200
- Drivers: INR 100 per hour
- Guide: INR 150
- Bike Hire: INR 150
What species of flora and fauna can be witnessed inside the National Park?
- Birds: Sarus Crane, Siberian Crane, Storks, Ducks, Cormorants, Common Teal, Gadwall, Herons, Shoveler, Tufted Duck, Cotton Teal, Little Cormorant, Comb Duck, Indian Shag, Great Cormorant, Ruff, White Spoonbill, Painted Stork, Oriental Ibis, Darter, Asian Open-Billed Stork, Common Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Migratory Waterfowl,
- Mammals: Indian Hare, Spotted Deer, Feral Cattle, Wild Boar, Small Indian Mongoose, Porcupine, Common Indian Gray Mongoose, The Fishing Cat, Jungle Cat, Asian Palm Civet, Smooth-Coated Otter, Small Indian Civet, Jackals, Hyenas, Mice, Rats, Gerbils, Leopards, Bats Langur, Bengal Fox, Jackal, Blackbuck, Striped Hyena, Chital, Hog Deer, Sambar, Wild Boar, Nilgai, Feral Cattle, Blue Bull
- Reptiles: Russell’s Viper, Bi-Colored Leaf-Nose Bat, Indian Porcupine, Cobra, Python, Krait, Rhesus Macaque, Common Monitor Lizard
Alam, Jamun, Kadam, Babul, Ber, Kandi, Piloo and Kair
Are there any other attractions in the National Park?
Do not forget to check out the small but glorious Shiva Temple, located right in the center of the park, on which the name of the sanctuary, Keoladeo, is derived from.
Can you tell me where I can stay while visiting Keoladeo National Park?
For the accommodation of large number of tourists that visit every day to check out the famous bird sanctuary, there are various hotels in Bharatpur. If you wish to spend a lavish stay in Rajasthan, with complete Royal Experience, there are various Heritage hotels and five-star hotels in Bharatpur. But, nothing enhances a wildlife tour in Bharatpur than a stay in the wildlife resorts in Bharatpur. The wildlife sanctuaries offer a warm stay with amidst the beautiful surroundings. You wake up in the morning with the sweet chirping sounds of the birds, when staying in these wildlife resorts and it is an experience that one cherishes throughout his/her life. At a little extra cost, these resorts, with amazing facilities are ideal accommodations on a Keoladeo National Park Tour.
Any last minute tips before I visit Keoladeo National Park?
Sure. Check out some useful tips:
- Book your tour with Indianholiday.com. No other tour and travel portal provide a deal as good as we do.
- Go for early morning or evening boat trips to see some exciting hidden treasures of the sanctuary.
- Do not carry any sharp objects while traversing The National Park.
- Do not tease or harm any flora or fauna species. It is a serious offence.
- If you are more interested in watching home bird species, the best time to visit is the months of April-September.
- Reach an hour before the gates open to avoid facing problems in filing out formalities.