What is Koyna Wildlife Sanctuary known for?
Koyna Wildlife Sanctuary is a tiger reserve and hence is a protected sanctuary for tiger species.
When was this Sanctuary established?
Koyna Wildlife Sanctuary was formed in the year 1985, as a part of Project Tiger which was initiated to protect the precious specious of tigers in India. The park was declared as the Northern part of Sahyadri Tiger Reserve in the year 2010.
Where is Koyna Wildlife Sanctuary located?
Koyna Wildlife Sanctuary is located in Satara district of the Indian state of Maharashtra.
What is the best time to visit Koyna Wildlife Sanctuary?
The best time to visit Koyna Wildlife Sanctuary is in the month of October as the temperature is predictable and pleasant unlike the months of April-September which are hot and humid. The months from November to March are little too overcrowded.
What are the opening and closing timings of the Sanctuary?
- Summer: 7.00 AM - 6.00 PM
- Winter: 7.00 AM - 6.00 PM
Note: Every citizen must pay an entry fee before he/she is allowed to walk in the sanctuary.
What species of flora and fauna can be witnessed inside the sanctuary?
- Mammals: Bengal tigers, Indian leopards, Indian bison, sloth bears, sambar deer, barking deer, mouse deer, common Gray langurs, Smooth-coated otters and Indian Giant Squirrels are common
- Birds: Heart-spotted Woodpecker, Brown-capped Pygmy Woodpecker, Rufous Woodpecker, Asian Fairy Bluebird, Crested Goshawk Long-and tailed Nightjar
- Reptiles: Indian pythons, King cobras, frog and Bufo koyanansi
Narkya , Hirda, Jambul, Awala, Ain, Pisa, Kinjal, Kumbha, Amba, Bhoma, Katak, Chandala, Nana, Jambha, Umbar, Gela, Karvi, Bibba, Shikekai, Dhup, Garambi, longan, Karvand, Elaeocarpus spp, Vagati, Tamalpati, Ranmiri, Toran, Kadipatta, Dhayati, Murudsheng and Anjani.
Are there any other attractions in the Wildlife Sanctuary?
Yes. The beautiful Western Ghats are simply amazing and they have been declared as a Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2012. Solashi, Kandati and Koyna rivers are other attractions. The nearby Koyna Dam is also popular while the tourists must visit The Vasota Fort, built in 1912 by Malwa king Raja Bhoja in 1170.
Can you tell me where I can stay while visiting Konya Wildlife Sanctuary?
There are various budget hotels in Satara, but the best accommodations would be the wildlife resorts located nearby the Wildlife Sanctuary. These lodges and resorts serve excellent dining options and provide a comfortable stay with an additional boon of providing the thrill and adventure of having wild beasts of the jungle just a few meters away from you. Even at a little extra cost, the wildlife resorts and lodges nearby Konya Wildlife Sanctuary are a stay that one cherishes for a long time. Some of the best examples are Koyna backwater resort and Koyna Lake resort.
Any last minute tips before I visit Konya Wildlife Sanctuary?
Sure. Check out some useful tips:
- Ask your guide when can you see tigers and plan your jungle safari accordingly.
- Do not carry any sharp objects while traversing forest.
- Do not tease or harm wildlife. It is a serious offence.
- Fully recharge your cameras. You will regret if you could not click the photographs of the beautiful locations.