Bekal is known for the historic Bekal Fort. This fort is the largest and best-preserved fort in Kerala. Perched atop a hill, it provides a bird's eye view of the surrounding landscape. The fort is adorned with lofty observation towers, cannon emplacements, a water reservoir with a long flight of steps and a magazine for storing ammunition. Besides the grand fort, Bekal is also famed for its exotic beaches. Come on a Bekal Tour, and you will have a memorable experience exploring these forts and beaches.
Tourist Attractions near Bekal
Following are some of the famous tourist attractions near Bekal, which you can explore while on a Bekal Tour -
- Kappil beach: The wide beaches and calm waters here are brilliant spots for relaxation and rejuvenation. The Kodi Cliff near the beach offers a spectacular view of the Arabian Sea.
- Valiyaparamba: Arguably the most picturesque backwater stretch in Kerala, Valiyaparamba is fed by four rivers and is adorned with a pleasant little island.
- Chandragiri Fort: This colossal 17th century fort offers a spectacular view of the Chandragiri River and the Arabian Sea. This square fort is placed by the side of River Payaswini. You can also visit a mosque nearby.
- Ananthapura Lake Temple: This beautiful lake temple is an ancient shrine, where the presiding deity is Sri Padmanabha (Lord Vishnu, The Preserver) seated on the serpent god Adisesha.
- Pallikere Beach: A km away from Bekal Fort, this beautiful expanse of shallow waters and beach is fast developing as a popular tourist destination.
How to reach Bekal
You can come on a Bekal Tour, using the following means of transport -
- By air: The nearest airport is at Mangalore (50 km). The nearest international airport is the Calicut International Airport, also known as Karipur Airport, situated 180 km away.
- By rail: The closest railhead is the Kasargod Railway Station, 8 km away.
- By road: The nearest town to Bekal is Kasargod, which is well-connected by a vast network of roads to several tourist centers in Kerala. You can avail of buses operated by private and state operators from Kasargod that link you to all parts of the state.