Vegetarian dish Made primarily in Kerala Is a gravy dish A number of fruits and seeds are also used
Avial is used mainly with rice. It is a favorite dish of people of Kerala.
- Ash gourd
- Raw bananas
- Shelled peas
- Sour curd
Ingredients for Making Avial
Following are the various ingredients that are needed to make avial:
- Yam - 150 gms
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Ash gourd - 150 gms
- Curry leaves - few
- Raw bananas - 2 nos
- Coconut oil - 1/4 cup
- Drumsticks - 2 nos
- Salt to taste
- Potato - 1 no
- Paste - Coconut1/2
- Shelled peas - 1/2 cup
- Green chillies - 6-7 nos.
- Sour curd - 1 cup
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp.
Process for Making Avial
- The coconut, cumin seeds and green chillies need to be ground together for making a fine paste. A little amount of water also needs to be added to this mixture for making the paste. Now the curd has to be mixed with the paste and kept aside.
- The vegetables have to be peeled and chopped into lengths of 3 inch each.
- The vegetables have to cooked separately in a vessel with a heavy bottom. Little water needs to be used in this case.
- After cooking the vegetables they need to be mixed with turmeric powder and salt.
- The paste has to be added to this and the entire mixture has to be heated through. However, curdling needs to be prevented.
- The curry leaves and coconut oil have to be added to this and should be mixed properly. However, it should not be heated.
- Avial is ready and can be served warm along with rice.