Fish curry and rice, though originally a Bengali dish, is equally popular among Goans and Keralites.
Fish curry can also be cooked with tamarind juice or coconut.
Fish curry and rice are nutritionally rich in protein, vitamins and minerals.
Fish curry and rice is a native specialty of Bengal. The combination is a popular choice for daily consumption and partie
- Fresh Fish (such as Pompfret, Rohu, Hilsa, King Fish
- Grated Coconut
- Basmati rice
- Cashew nuts
Recipe for Fish curry:
- Fresh Fish (such as Pompfret, Rohu, Hilsa, King Fish, etc)
- Turmeric powder - quarter tsp
- Red Chilly Powder - quarter tsp
- Fresh Grated Coconut - one cup
- Onion - one (finely grated)
- Dried coriander seeds - 1 tsp
- Sunflower Oil - 1 tsp
- Pepper - quarter tsp
- Salt - to taste
Method for preparing fish curry:
- First, you need to clean the fish thoroughly, wash it and then marinate it by applying red chilly powder, turmeric powder, and salt and then keep it aside.
- Now mix the following ingredients in a small bowl; finely grind coconut, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, tamarind juice, finely grated onion, coriander seeds, and pepper.
- Next pour oil in a karahi or deep frying vessel and add the finely chopped onion. Sauté till golden yellow in color and then add the marinated fish and cook it for 2 minutes. Now add the ground coconut mixture to the cooked fish.
- After this, add a little water. Now stir slowly to make thick gravy.
- Add salt to taste.
- Remove from fire when curry is done.
Serving suggestion: Serve with a plateful of freshly cooked rice.
Recipe for Rice:
- Basmati rice-500 gm
- Water 400-480 ml
- Salt-1 tsp
- Oil -3 tbsp
- Cashew nuts chopped -half cup
- Bay leaves-2 or 3
- At first, wash and soak the rice in water for 10 minutes.
- Drain the rice and keep aside.
- Boil water in a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Wait until the water starts boiling.
- Now add rice.
- Cover the pan tightly, reduce heat and simmer without stirring until the rice is fluffy and tender and the water is fully absorbed.
Serving suggestion: you can add fried cashew nuts and bay leaves to the cooked rice for an added flavor.