Hurali Saaru Recipe
Hurali Saaru is a delicious dish of Karnataka.
It is a sweet sour delicacy and happens to be the main dish of Karnataka people.
Hurali is a horse gram and horse gram is a kind of beans. Hurali is known as Kulath or Kulthi and Gahat in India.
• Horse gram
• Curry powder
• Tamarind paste
Hurali Saaru is a staple food of the people of Karnataka. In fact, in most of the Karnataka delicacies, hurali or horse gram is the main ingredient. Hurali or horse gram is a type of beans. However, it is not very common except in South Indian dishes. It is grown to be used as fodder and food item. It is known as Kulath or Kulthi i.e. hurli, and Gahat in India.
Besides Hurali, boiled rice and curd is also part of the main food items of people of South Karnataka. Whether it is lunch, dinner, mid-day meal or breakfast, hurli saaru cooked with different spices, raagi mudde and bas saaru is included in the main course of the food. Coconut and its oil along with chilies are also extensively used in Karnataka dishes.
Hurali Saaru Recipe
- Horse gram
- frozen coconut
- chopped coriander leaves
- chopped onion
- curry powder
- red chili powder
- tamarind paste
- jaggery (equivalent to tamarind)
- salt to taste
- cumin seeds
- turmeric powder
- mustard seeds
- curry leaves
How to Prepare Hurali Saaru:
- In a pressure cooker, horse gram or hurali is cooked with water. After it is cooked, it is properly mashed and kept aside.
- In a cooking pan, tempering is prepared. Little oil is heated in the pan. Cumin seeds and mustard seeds are added. These are allowed to crackle and then curry leaves and turmeric leaves are added. Next, it is kept aside.
- Another frying pan is taken and little oil is heated. Chopped onion is added. It is fried for sometime until it changes color. Then, curry and red chili powder are added to it. Also, tamarind and jaggery in equal quantities are poured in.
- To this, mashed hurali or horse gram is mixed. With this, coconut and salt is added. It is mixed well and boiled for about 5 minutes.
- Finally, it is garnished with chopped coriander leaves.