It is a non vegetarian dish
Can be made with both fish and chicken or mutton. Even eggs may be used
Can be eaten at any point in a day like lunch or dinner
Can be eaten at social gatherings as well
Even though it is non vegetarian dish jhol can also be made with vegetables as well
• fish (freshwater fishes -carp or catfish)
• Hot Peppers
• Mustard Oil
• Lemon Juice
• Mustard Paste
Jhol could be made both with fish as well as meat. It is a curry, which is among the globally recognizable dishes of India. However, jhol may also be prepared with vegetables and this can be a healthy option for people suffering from diseases or for those who are not completely fit and are recuperating.
Ingredients for Macher Jhol
- Following are the ingredients for making macher jhol or fish curry:
- 1 lb fish (freshwater fishes such as carp or catfish are preferable. They have to be cut in to pieces
- 3/4'' thick along with bones and skin)
- 5-6 hot peppers
- 1 cup mustard oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1-1.5 tbsp mustard paste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsps turmeric
Making Macher Jhol
Following procedures are followed for making macher jhol:
- Fish pieces have to be smeared with salt and 1 table spoon turmeric and this has to be set aside for a couple of minutes.
- In a deep pan mustard oil has to be heated. The fish pieces have to be fried in a light way until they turn golden yellow on each side.
- Mustard paste, salt and remaining turmeric have to be dissolved in one and a half cup of warm water.
- Hot peppers need to be sliced and added to the mustard paste.
- A couple of drops of mustard oil have to be added to the paste.
- The sauce has to be boiled in a saucepan and the fish pieces have to be added to it.
- This has to simmer till the paste has thickened a bit and fish has become soft.
- This should be removed from heat and cooled.
- Once cooled it should be sprinkled with lemon juice and served along with white rice.
Ingredients for Mangsher Jhol
Following are main ingredients of mangsher jhol or mutton curry:
- 800-1000 grams of mutton, cut into approximately 2-3 cm cubes, washed and drained
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 3 potatoes,peeled and halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3-4 cm long cinnamon
- 3-4 tablespoon of ginger, pasted
- 3-4 pieces of cloves
- 2 teaspoon of garlic, pasted
- 2 pieces of cardamom
- 8 tablespoons of vinegar
- salt, to taste
- 4 medium sized tomato, smashed
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- Extra i teaspoon garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder, or to taste
- Extra 1 teaspoon onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon Ghee or butter
- It may also be remembered that mangsher jhol could be made with chicken as well
Making Mangsher Jhol
Following procedures are used for making mangsher jhol:
- The drained meat should be basted with vinegar and kept aside for 5 minutes.
- Now the tomatoes, chilli, coriander, turmeric powder, ginger, 2 table spoons of oil and garlic need to be mixed together.
- The meat has to be added to this and mixed thoroughly and then set aside. 5 to 6 tablespoons of oil have to be heated have to be heated in a big saucepan with a heavy bottom and the potatoes have to be stirfried in that. Now they have to be set aside.
- Bayleaves, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves have to be added in that oil itself.
- The sliced onions have to be added to this and have to be stirfried till they become light brown.
- Now salt and the meat mixture have to be added to this.
- This has to be stir fried in low heat till the oil comes out of the dried meat.
- Sugar has to be added and stirred thoroughly.
- Potatoes have to be added as well as boiled water sufficient enough to engulf the potatoes and meat.
- This has to be covered and cooked on low to medium heat till the meat is ready.
- This may be stirred on occasions. Some boiled water may also be added to add to the gravy.
- The slices of onion and garlic have to be heated in either butter or ghee in a frying pan.
- Now they may be sprinkled atop the curry.