Made from rice and lentils
Can also be made from dalia
Vegetables are used as well
It is regarded as a health food in certain parts of India.
• Yellow lentils (yellow moong dal)
• Basmati rice
• Cumin seeds
Khichdi is a dish made from rice and lentils. Vegetables are also used in the preparation of khichdi. In certain parts of India khichdi is treated as a therapeutic food. This is because of the immense food value of khichdi.
Ingredients of Khichdi
Following are the various ingredients for making khichdi:
- 1 cup yellow lentils, washed and soaked in clean and fresh water and then drained (yellow moong dal)
- 3 cups white basmati rice, washed and soaked in water and then drained
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons oil
Following are the steps necessary for making khichdi:
- Oil has to be heated in a skillet.
- Now cumin seeds need to be added to this.
- They have to be allowed to splutter
- Now rice and yellow lentils have to be folded in.
- Now water and salt have to be stirred in.
- These have to be brought to boil.
- The flame has to be lowered and then it has to be partly covered and cooked. This has to be done until the evaporation of water and cooking of rice.
- It has to be served hot.
- Even though khichdi can be served by itself it is recommended to serve it along with plain yoghurt