It is a vegetarian dish
It is made primarily in Kerala
It used only a few ingredients like rice powder, grated coconut and flour.
There is a utensil that is used exclusively for making pootu called pootu maker. It is a breakfast dish.
• Rice flour
• Grated coconut
Pootu is a vegetarian dish that has originated in Kerala. It is prepared from steamed rice flour and coconut mixture. It is used primarily for the purpose of breakfast. It is eaten normally along with sprinkling of sugar, a spicy curry, which is made from chic peas and mashed bananas.
Ingredients of Pootu
Following are the ingredients of pootu:
- 2 cups, 8 oz or 230 grams of rice flour
- 4 tablespoon, 2 fl oz or 60 milliliter water
- salt, as per taste
- ¼ cup or 25 grams grated coconut
Method of Preparing Pootu
- The salt has to be mixed with the flour. Now some water has to be sprinkled on this mixture and it has to be mixed in a light way to make a powdery and slightly damp mixture. It should not be lumpy however.
- A layer of coconut needs to be placed beneath rice powder in a pootu maker. This has to be done alternately with coconut on the topmost stratum.
- The pootu maker has to be filled half with boiling water and attached to a pressure cooker sans the whistle along with its perforated lid. The heat has to be increased in order for the steam to pass through the pootu maker and go out through the perforated lid. This would help in the cooking of the pootu.
- The pootu has to be pushed out of the pootu maker into a plate. A rod is normally used in such cases.
- This process may be repeated as far as cooking the remaining rice powder is concerned.