Rajma (red kidney bean)
It is a vegetarian dish.
It is high in protein, starch and dietary fiber.
The dish is a popular north and south India item.
• Red kidney beans ( Rajma)
Rajma or red kidney beans are named because of its kidney shape. It has a dark red skin and is also known as red beans. The beans are known as rajma in Punjabi and Hindi and as Karamani or Karamani Payir in Tamil. It is used as an integral item in north and south Indian cuisine. During the Tamil-Hindu festival of Kaaradaiyaan Nonbu (Kamakshi Nonbu) in Tamil Nadu in south India, a sweet dish called Kozhukattai is prepared. It is prepared with cooked and mashed kidney bean, ghee, jaggery and various other ingredients to make this steamed sweet cake
In Louisiana Creole cuisine, kidney beans are sometimes used in the rice and red beans dish. There are also small red beans which are darker and smaller than the kidney beans. The smooth taste makes it a preferred choice in Cajun cuisine. Caparrones are small kidney beans which are used in La Rioja, Spain.
Rajma (red kidney bean) is also a popular red kidney bean curry in India. Serve this delicious curry with boiled rice, pickle and kachumbar salad.
To make rajma curry you need:
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed under running water
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 fresh green chilies chopped fine
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 medium-sized onions chopped fine
- 2"piece of ginger finely sliced
- 2 large tomatoes chopped into 1" cubes
- A pinch of asafetida
- 2 table spoons of vegetable ,canola or sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons of coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander to garnish
- Heat oil in a deep pan and add cumin seeds. After they stop sizzling, put in onion and fry it till it is soft
- Fry for 2 minutes with garlic and ginger
- Then add coriander, tomatoes, green chilies, turmeric, cumin, and garam masala powders
- Fry all these until the oil separates from the masala
- Then add the red kidney beans, asafetida, 4 cups of warm water and salt to taste. Cook the beans till it is soft for about 10 minutes
- To thicken the gravy, roughly mash some of the beans
- Serve hot with fresh coriander garnishing