Sarson da saag te makki di roti
It is a vegetarian dish.
Contains a healthy dose of spinach
Deliciously spicy with green chillies as an ingredient
Rich in clarified butter
The dish is regarded as signature preparation of Punjabi style of cooking. It is prepared mostly in winter and makes a perfect party food.
• Sarson saag
• Ghee or clarified butter
• Wheat flour
• Maize flour
Sarson da saag te makki di roti is a quintessential Punjabi dish that is enjoyed by both Punjabis and non-Punjabis alike. The dish uses spinach-which makes it a healthier alternative.
Cooking sarson da saag
- Fresh ginger pieces of 2 cm length
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- Table salt- 2 table spoons
- Cornmeal- 2 table spoon
- Mustard greens- 500 grams
- Green chillies-2 pieces
- Ghee or clarified butter-2 table spoons
Method of preparation
- 1.Bring the mustard greens. Wash them. Finely shred them.
- 2.Bring a big pot. Put the finely chopped mustard greens in them. Add 2 cups of water with salt.
- 3.Put the cover on the pot. Cook for a period of 15-20 minutes. The chopped green must be tender.
- 4.After the mustard greens become tender, move the pot from the heat
- 5.Take excess water from the pot into a separate container
- 6.Using a pestle, mash the green and stir in cornflour. Then place the pot on the stove and turn on the heat. Heat for 10-12 minutes
- 7.Put ghee in a pan. Heat a little. Introduce chillies, ginger and garlic.
- 8.Fry in the pan. Bring out the contents and pour into another pan.
- 9.Mix the contents well. Saag can now be served.
Preparing makki di roti
- Wheat flour-100 grams
- Maize flour-250 grams
- Chopped coriander leaves- 20 grams
- Salt as appropriate
- Oil for shallow frying
- Warm water
Method of preparation
- 1.Mix wheat flour, maize flour and salt in bowl. After mixing, add in coriander
- 2.Add warm water. Mix and knead to make a smooth dough
- 3.With a damp kitchen cloth, cover the roti for 30 minutes
- 4.Cut the dough into 8 equal parts. With your palm, flatten the dough pieces
- 5.Slowly roll the dough to a thick and small round. A small quantity of flour can be
- sprinkled to stop the dough to stick to the surface.
- 6.Griddle is now heated. Roti is placed on it. Put 1-2 teaspoonful of oil all around it and cook
- 7.Keep the roti turning on both sides
- 8.Roti is now ready to be served. Butter can be added for a richer taste.