Stew is similar to soup.
It is a nutritious recipe and good for dieters.
Though originally not an Indian recipe, stew has become common in Indian households because of numerous health reasons.
• Cardamom, clove and Cinnamon
• Ginger, garlic and green chilly
Commonly, a stew is a preparation in water. Vegetables or chicken are just boiled with little salt and pepper. The recipe could be similar to a bowl of soup wherein you would find large pieces of vegetables, chicken or fish.
India is such a diverse country where you would find varied and distinct vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian dishes. These Indian recipes have come down from generations, which have strong flavors along with nutritional value. Indian cuisine is popular worldwide for its curries and sweet dishes. Moreover, it is easy to prepare and delicious.
Stew is, indeed, very easy to prepare and the vegetables in it get cooked in minutes. You can add potatoes, beans, seafood, meat and chicken for making stew. Generally, water is used as a base for boiling; however, beer, wine and stock can also be used.
Some of the stews that can be cooked are lamb and lentil stew, an Italian stew, beef stew, Portuguese bean stew, a Hungarian paprika stew, vegetable stew, or an oyster stew.
1. Chicken Stew
- Chopped Garlic
- Chopped Ginger
- Little vinegar
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves
- Cardamom, clove and Cinnamon
- Ginger, garlic and green chilly
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method of Preparing Chicken Stew
- At first, chicken is cleaned, washed and kept aside. Also, potatoes are peeled and cut into medium sized pieces.
- In a wok (cooking pan), white oil is taken and onion pieces along with ginger and garlic are added.
- After onion pieces starts turning pink in color, then cardamom, clove and cinnamon is added to it. Also, green chilies are dropped in.
- After 2-3 minutes, salt and pepper is added together with curry leaves.
- The mixture is allowed to sauté for sometime.
- Then slowly chicken pieces are added with little amount of vinegar (about 2 tablespoons). It is continuously stirred with 2 cups of water.
- After the chicken is half cooked, potato pieces are added with some more water.
- It is allowed to soften for another 4-5 minutes.
- Finally, it is removed from fire and garnished with coriander leaves.
2. Vegetable Stew
- Vegetables like carrot, peas, cauliflower, potato, beans, beet (cut into pieces)
- Butter or oil
- Chopped onions (long pieces)
- Nutmeg powder
- Black pepper
- Clove, cinnamon, cardamom
- Grated ginger
- Green chilies
Method of Preparing Vegetable Stew
In a pan, oil is taken and onion is added. Then, all the vegetables are taken along with ginger and green chilies. Then pepper, nutmeg powder and salt are added to it. Slowly water is poured in and it is allowed to boil for about 5 minutes. However, you must keep checking whether vegetables are cooked or not. After sometime, clove, cinnamon and cardamom are added to the mixture. After the vegetables are soft and cooked, the pan is removed from fire. It is garnished with coriander leaves and served hot with boiled rice.
Tips: Instead of water, you could also use coconut milk. However, you should ensure that the milk is thick in consistency.