Veth Chaman Recipe
It is a vegetarian dish
Panir based spicy dish
Veth chaman is part of the culinary tradition of Kashmiri pundits. All ingredients used are Indian and locally available.
• Panir or cottage cheese
• Mustard oil
Veth chaman is an Indian vegetarian dish originally prepared by Kashmiri pundits. It is spicy and sinfully delicious. Panir or cottage cheese is the principal ingredient.
Cooking veth chaman
- Panir or cottage cheese 1 kilogram
- 5 cloves
- Mustard oil 1.5 cups
- Red chili powder 2 tablespoons
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Turmeric 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- Milk half cup
- 1 cup curd
- 2 tablespoons aniseed powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon mix of cinnamon, black pepper powder and big cardamom
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon salt to taste
Cut the panir slab to make multiple pieces. Thickness of each panir piece should not exceed half an inch.
Method of preparation
- Put the panir piece into a deep karahi or vessel and deep fry. The panir should turn a light brown color.
- Flip the pieces periodically with a perforated ladle so that the panir chunks are uniformly fried.
- With the perforated ladle, take the panir pieces out. The oil should be fully drained.
- Keep the fried panir on a plate. Remove karahi from heat. Keep it aside.
- In a separate container take half liter water, a pinch of salt and asafoetida, and 1 tablespoon turmeric. Boil the mix.
- Put fried panir into the mix and cook for 30 minutes on medium heat
- Add cumin seeds and remaining asafoetida, and cloves into the oil left on the karahi. Restart the heat.
- Stir the mix with a steel cradle. Add 1 tablespoon turmeric and chili powder with a tablespoon quantity of water
- Continue stirring until oil becomes colored. Add churned curd.
- Stir until oil blends with the curd.
- Add this sauce to panir. Put in coriander, ginger, aniseed and cumin powders. Stir with the perforated paddle and let the vessel simmer for 30 minutes on slow heat.
- Frequently stir the mix so that sediments are not formed on the bottom of the vessel.
- When the oil begins to separate, and gravy thickens, put in black pepper powders, big cardamom and cinnamon. Also add garam masala.
- With a broad spatula turn the mix.
- Veth chaman is now ready to be served.