Originally, Vindaloo was made with pork preserved in red wine or red wine vinegar, chili pepper, and stewed with garlic.
Vindaloo is also cooked with chicken or lamb sometimes mixed with potatoes for variety.
Vindaloo made of pork cubes spiced with the choicest spices grown in the Western Ghats, is cooked slowly over medium heat. The slow cooking process of Vindaloo enables the pork to assimilate the essence of the spices, making it all the more delicious.
Vindaloo is a specialty of west coast of India. It is an amalgamation of the East and the West. The name ‘Vindaloo’ is derived from the Portuguese word ‘carne de vinho e alho’s which means meat laced with vinegar and garlic.
• Green chilies
Ingredients for Vindaloo:
- Pork cube-1 Kg
- Onion-1 Kg (finely chopped)
- 10 medium sized Green chilies-10 (vertically sliced and deseeded)
- Large Pod of Garlic (peeled)
- Mango -2 inch or,
- Ginger-1 inch (finely minced)
Ingredients for Vindaloo Spices:
- Kashmir Red Chilies-20
- Vinegar-3 tablespoon
- Black pepper corns-1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds-2 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds-2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon-5 cloves
- Ginger-1 inch
- Garlic-1 large size pod
- Turmeric powder-1 teaspoon
- Brown Sugar-1 teaspoon
- Mustard seed-1 tablespoon
- Fenugreek seeds-1 teaspoon
Recipe for Vindaloo:
- Clean the pork.
- Now cut the cleaned pork into ½ inch sized pieces.
- Mix well all the ingredients for Vindaloo spice. Blend the paste with vinegar, adding the ½ tsp sugar.
- Next, marinate the cubed pork with the Vindaloo paste and keep it aside for about three hours.
- Now pour some oil or pork lard in a large wok.
- When the oil heats up, add the chopped onions and fry till golden brown in color.
- Next add garlic and ginger.
- Fry for a few minutes.
- Now, add the marinated pork with all the paste.
- Stir slowly and reduce the heat to a medium level.
- Next, add a cup of water to the pork and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook over a low fire for an hour.
Serving suggestion: Once ready, Vindaloo can be served with a plate of steaming rice.