Sangeet Natak Academy, New Delhi is popularly known as the National Academy for Music, Dance and Drama in English. It is a national level academy for performing arts. This museum in New Delhi was set up by the Government of India.
The Sangeet Natak Academy, New Delhi was established by the Indian education ministry in May 31, 1952. It became functional in the next year, with the appointment of its first Chairman, Dr. P. V. Rajamannar. This museum was inaugurated on January 28, 1953 by Dr Rajendra Prasad, the first President of India, in a special function held in the Parliament House.
The Sangeet Natak Academy functions as headquarter of the performing arts in the India. This academy not only helps to preserve the vast cultural heritage of India, but also and promotes the various forms of music, dance and drama. This academy in New Delhi establishes and maintains institutions and projects of national importance like:
- Jawaharlal Nehru Manipur Dance Academy, Imphal.
- National School of Drama (NSD), New Delhi in 1959
- Kathak Kendra (National Institute of Kathak Dance), New Delhi in 1964
Other functions of the Sangeet Natak Academy, New Delhi include:
- National Projects in the support of Kuttiyattam (the age-old Sanskrit theatre of Kerala)
- Gives grants to aid research, documentation and publishing in the performing arts
- Organizes and subsidizes seminars and conferences of subject specialists
- Supporting the work of institutions engaged in performing or promoting music, dance, theatre and teaching,
- Documents and records the performing arts for its audio-visual archive.
- Fostering cultural contacts between various regions within the country and oversees.
- Renders advice and assistance to the Government of India in the task of formulating and implementing policies and programs in the field.
The facilities available at the Sangeet Natak Academy, New Delhi include:
- The audio-visual archive
- The library
- Gallery of musical instruments
- Documentation unit
The Sangeet Natak Academy, New Delhi is related to some famous awards and fellowships like the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award. Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship, 'Ratna Sadsya' and the Ustad Bismillah Khan Yuva Puruskar.