In Jaisalmer itself, there are several things to do and places to visit during your trip. The places to visit near Jaisalmer offer off-the-beaten-path experiences to discerning travelers. Tourist places to visit near Jaisalmer include an eclectic amalgam of culture, charming villages, and stories of bygone eras.
There are numerous places to visit near Jaisalmer that give you introductions of words like ancient beauty, remarkable, fascinating, and mysterious. Yes! You heard it right. The mysteriousness is also part of Rajasthan’s history. You can experience this fact with Kuldhara Village, an abandoned village with nothing but questions that can’t be answered. Moreover, the architectural beauty, royalty, adventure, sand dunes, and wildlife are matchless elements of tourist places around Jaisalmer.
Let’s just dive right into the top 8 places to visit near Jaisalmer.
8 Best Places to visit near Jaisalmer
- Sam Sand Dunes – One place that offers many experiences
- Khuri – Get a mix of adventure, entertainment, and culture
- Lodurva – Relive the history and soak in sacred vibes.
- Jaswant Thada – Feel the Royalty Vibes around you
- Mehrangarh Fort And Museum – The Sun Fort of Rajasthan
- Khaba Fort – A hub of ancient art and rich history
- Desert National Park – Make a bond with wildlife and ecosystem
- Kuldhara Village – Take a Tour for Ghost Town
Sam Sand Dunes – One place that offers many experiences
It is one of Rajasthan’s most authentic and great deserts that offers incredible sights. And you will see a layer of sand give you as far as you can see.
Sam Sand Dunes is one of the ideal destinations to visit near Jaisalmer for fun, excitement, and unique experiences. Moreover, enjoying camel safari and desert safari are some of the best ways to make a connection with this desert.
Get a wholesome experience of the desert by staying in the camp and witnessing the sunset from this site. But admiring the night beauty while stars glitter in the sky is a phenomenal experience in Sam Sand Dunes.
- Distance from Jaisalmer: 38 Km (approx.)
- Timing: Throughout the day
- Type of destination: Family-Friendly, Group Tours
- Travel tips: Plan your trip between February and March to witness the festivals and events such as camel races, puppet shows, folk dance performances, and many more.
- Famous for: The place is popular for its vivid desert life and cultural program.
Khuri – Get a mix of adventure, entertainment, and culture
If fun is the thing that always remains on the top of your list, then don’t miss the Khuri. This quaint village is located on the city’s outskirts and is one of the most popular tourist places to visit near Jaisalmer.
You can relish the charm of traditional Rajasthani folklore and know the Rajasthani lifestyle that will stay in your heart beautifully. A camel ride is something that your mind instantly creates when you hear the name Jaisalmer. And enjoying this ride at Khuri is just something else.
The desert of this area is one of the finest places to enjoy this ride before starting your journey to explore the Khuri. On top of that, you will get a dose of entertainment by enjoying a campfire and desert camping.
- Distance from Jaisalmer: 50 KM (approx.)
- Timing: Throughout the day
- Type of destination: Adventurous, family-friendly, group tour
- Travel tips: Do not forget to explore the village to get a better outlook on the culture and lifestyle of the locals.
- Famous for: The desert area is widely popular for having rare flora and fauna.
Lodurva – Relive the history and soak in sacred vibes.
It is one of the best places to visit nearby Jaisalmer, which attracts tourists for multiple reasons. You can witness the mix of history, architecture, and spiritual vibes by visiting Lodurva.
This village knows better history than Jaisalmer and today gained immense popularity because of the intricate craftsmanship of Yellowstone, Jain Temples, and old-time that stuck in every corner.
Parshvnath Temple is the highlight of this village, the oldest and most beautiful shrine here. The figure of humans and animals on the wall of the sanctum displays the art of ancient times. So if you are inclined towards history and peace, visiting this village never disappoints you.
- Distance from Jaisalmer: 7 KM (approx.)
- Temple timing: 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Type of destinations: Pilgrimage, historical,
- Travel tip: Discover the architectural ruins that are surrounded by sand dunes and enjoy photography with peacocks
- Famous for: The stony landscapes, history, and architecture are all gripping factors in this village.
Jaswant Thada – Feel the Royalty Vibes around you
A little struggle to find glitter is the thing that suits us as we include Jaswant Thada in the list of best places to visit near Jaisalmer.
This historical palace is made up of white marble and is known as the Taj Mahal of Marwar. You can witness the grace of old times by experiencing the royalty that still sneaks peeks from its walls and design. It is located in Jodhpur and is considered one of the must-visit places near Jaisalmer that give you a better outcome on incredible architecture.
Also read: 20 Things to do in Royal Rajasthan
The lakeside view of Jaswant Thada makes it more appealing, and witnessing it under the sunlight is undoubtedly a delight for your eyes. And the sight of Umaid Bhawan Palace from Jaswant Thada is awe-inspiring. So, mark this place for your trip and feel the living history around you.
- Distance from Jaisalmer: 279 KM (approx.)
- Timing: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Type of destination: Family-friendly, solo traveling
- Travel tips: A camera is allowed with a fee, so make your click some photographs.
Mehrangarh Fort And Museum – The Sun Fort of Rajasthan
The entire Rajasthan is a state of Kings and rich culture, which is still experienced through many forts, palaces, towns, and other attractions. If exploring the forts and witnessing the fort’s great view is the thing in your mind, head to Mehrangarh Fort.
It is one of the biggest forts in India that was built in 1459 and is covered 1200 acres area. It comes on the list of the majestic forts of Rajasthan and, needless to say, it is one of the most appealing historical attractions near Jaisalmer.
Talking about history, this fort has a different museum that amazingly depicts the bygone era. So mark this destination and be ready for explorers, fans, observers, or admirers of this fort.
Also Read: Best Places to visit in Jaisalmer
- Distance from Jaisalmer: 280 KM (approx)
- Timing: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Type of destination: Group tours, family-friendly
- Travel tip: Wear comfortable shoes and clothes while visiting the Mehrangarh fort.
- Famous for: Relics and artifacts from the Mughal dynasty that you can see in the different museums.
Khaba Fort – A hub of ancient art and rich history
If witnessing the ruins and knowing the history comes to your bucket list, this fort could be a great hotspot. It was once a vibrant area of Paliwal Brahmins families who stayed here before 200 years old. Talking about the fort, it is one of the mysterious forts that carries incredible stories.
A visit to Khaba Fort gives you a dose of history and mystery that will add an enthralling experience to your vacation. In addition, you can behold the art and talent of the villagers as this fort has been converted into a museum.
But the reasons behind leaving this place are still captivating and thought-provoking. You can track down the lifestyle of people who lived here a century ago. For mystery lovers, this fort is undoubtedly an ideal place to set foot to explore the past.
- Distance from Jaisalmer: 32 KM (approx)
- Timing of Fort: 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Type of destination: Historical, family-friendly, Group tours
- Travel tip: Enjoy photography, witness the peacocks that stroll around the ruins, and make this fort more appealing.
- Famous for: It is an admirable tourist attraction popular for its rich past, incredible stories, and artifacts.
Desert National Park – Make a bond with wildlife and ecosystem
Desert National park is one of the biggest wildlife sanctuaries of India that is spread in 3062 sq km. Covering the large extent of sand dunes makes it one of the popular places to visit in and around Jaisalmer. It is a combination of the Thar Desert and diverse wildlife adventure that makes it appealing for visitors to witness the finest ecosystem.
Also Read: Wildlife Safari in Desert National Park
There are many lakes in the national parks, such as Rajbagh Lake, Milak Lake, and Padam Talao Lake. Besides, it is home to several species of birds, like eagles, falcons, harriers, vultures, kestrels, larks, shrikes, and buzzards. And the rarest bird species Great Indian Bustard migrates in different seasons.
In this national park, you can spot Bengal fox, desert cat, blackbuck, hedgehog, Chinkara, and desert fox. A touch of fauna like thorny shrubs, cacti, and grasses in this park gives you a wholesome experience. Jeep Safari is an ideal way to explore the Desert National Park. And visit between November to January for a better wildlife encounter.
- Distance from Jaisalmer: 10 Km (approx.)
- Timing: 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Type of destination: Wildlife
- Travel tips: Carry a water bottle, hat, and sunscreen and stay hydrated.
- Famous for: The dinosaur fossils which are 60 million years old are found here
Kuldhara Village – Take a Tour for Ghost Town
Where did they go in just one night? What happened to them? Why did they leave their houses? These are the questions that still float in the air of Kuldhara Village. Once upon a time, it was inhabited by the Paliwal Brahmins, but now it is abandoned and has a mystery that is still unsolved.
It is one of the most popular sites in and around Jaisalmer that is believed to be one of the most haunted places in India. The story behind it gives us details that one night all the villagers disappeared without any evidence. The question of where and why they went is still puzzling in the minds of scientists, historians, and ordinary people.
An assumption story about Kuldhara is popular among the people. Although the minister of the kingdom who was ruling at that time wanted to marry a girl of the village, he also warned villagers by giving 24 hours ultimatum to villagers to marry the girl. Otherwise, he will forcefully enter the village and take her away.
Everyone decided to leave the region to save the village’s daughter’s pride and honor. But the question is still the same-how everyone managed that? In fact, nobody saw them leave the village. And nobody has any clue about where they went. Nevertheless, the charm of curiosity and spooky vibes of this place still settled here make it one of the most famous places near Jaisalmer.
- Distance from Jaisalmer: 35 KM (approx)
- Timing of Kuldhara Village: 10: 00 AM to 6: 00 PM
- Type of destination: Historical
- Travel tip: Plan your visit between October to March to explore the village without facing the unbearable heat.
- Famous for: This abandoned village is popular in the country for its haunted and mysterious tales.
Wrapping it up:
These are the top places to visit near Jaisalmer that allow you to witness majestic palaces, impressive forts, festivals, and other tourist attractions. With coloring architecture and vibrant history, the beauty and attractions cover Jaisalmer. You can plan your vacation near Jaisalmer with these above-mentioned destinations, as every destination is a must-visit destination.