Planning a trip to Delhi with kids? You can’t go wrong! The capital town of India has no shortage of activities for kids. And guess what? The capital of India welcomes little tourists with open hands. There is no excuse for not taking your kids to voyage across Delhi. It is a commencing point of the Golden Triangle India journey – Delhi-Agra-Jaipur. The country’s most famous commercial area has a deck of top kids friendly attractions. You might be thinking about the reason for traveling with kids to Delhi. Lend us your ears!
Why Travel Around Delhi with Kids?
As parents, we all do something for our kids because, let’s face it, we all want to give them the best life experiences. So, if you have not paid attention to what travel can do for your kids, now is the time you should. There are many epic places in Delhi to travel with kids. Achingly scenic and historically rich, India’s capital town has a range of activities for kids to indulge in. Traveling with kids will enhance their confidence and build their independence. Plus, exploring Delhi with kids is fun, easy, and filled with excitement.
The capital town is an ideal destination for outdoor-loving family travelers. Being a family travel playground, there are many fun things to do in Delhi with kids. It is an excellent place for little tourists with family. Traveling with kids significantly boosts development. Vacation with kids could expand your child’s world, making them more emphatic towards cultural differences.
Here we bring you the list of 9 top things to do in Delhi with kids. Happy exploring, with little tourists!
1. Visit Deer Park to See Animals
Deer Park is the supreme location for kids in Delhi to indulge in playful picnics around the deers. This place has deers which could be seen during your visit. Your child can photograph the deers in their natural habitat as the deers are circumference inside the safety precautions. There is a lake, many small tombs inside the Deer Park where you can sit with your family under the shade of the tree. This Park is considered one of the best picnic spots in South Delhi with kids and families often visiting it.
Why should kids visit Deer Park?
- Little tourists can play outdoor activities as the area is lush green.
- They are playful rides (free of cost) for your kids.
- A lake sits inside the deer park where ducks and fishes could be seen.
- For feeding ducks around the artificial lakes inside the park.
Best time to visit Deer Park: March-May, September-February
Note: June-August is the monsoon season. You should plan accordingly because the Park gets water-clogged.
- Opening days of Deer Park: All 7 days
- Visiting hours of Deer Park: 6 AM – 6 PM
- Time required to visit Deer Park: 3-4 hours (approx.)
- Entry fee of Deer Park: Free of cost
How to reach Deer Park:
The nearby metro station to Deer Park is Green Park. From there, you can reach Deer Park within 15-20 minutes by taking a taxi or a shared auto.
2. Take a Walk at India Gate
India Gate in Delhi is one of the best attractions in Delhi for international tourists too! It is a war memorial that pays homage to the Indian soldiers during World War I. Around India Gate, the area is lush green to enjoy a picnic and indulge in playful outdoor activities with kids. People usually visit India Gate in the evening. It is the best time to enjoy boating.
Why should kids visit India Gate?
- Kids will love spending their time amidst the lush greenery.
- Watching the sunset at India Gate is a sight to behold for kids.
- Congregate at dusk for a picnic with the family.
- For taking a long walk from India Gate to Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- To get busy on the miniature car rides that are operated with remote control.
Best time to visit India Gate: February-April, and August-November
- Entry fee of India Gate: Free of cost
- Boating timings at India Gate: 2 PM-7 PM (timing is subject to change in winters)
- Boating prices at India Gate: INR 50 – INR 100 per person (approx.)
- Opening days of India Gate: All the 7 days
- Visiting hours of India Gate: 8 AM – 9:30 PM
- Required Time to visit India Gate: 3-4 hours (approx.)
Note – The entry to India Gate and its nearby lush green landscapes remain closed during the Republic Day celebration preparations.
How to reach India Gate:
India Gate is located in Central Delhi and is well connected with Metro, local buses. You can also reach India Gate via cab from your initial destination in Delhi.
3. Unleash The Kid in You at Children’s Park
As the name suggests, this place is for little tourists. You can combine your trip to Children’s Park with the India gate together. Both the locations are adjacent to each other. Children’s Park is a 10 acre (approx.) lush green Park where kids can indulge in an assortment of games. One musical fountain is there in Children’s Park where you can click a family photo together. Children’s Park is enveloped with full trees, flowerbeds, and bushes shaped into rabbits, elephants. Kids love spending time with their family on holidays at Children’s Park. This place serves one of the best holiday activities for kids to enjoy in Delhi.
Why should kids visit Children’s Park?
- There are plentiful street hawkers inside the Park selling stuff for kids.
- Little tourists can admire the sunset and click photographs with you.
- There is a Children’s Library for the kids (between 6-12 years).
- Lots of swings and no entry fee.
- Kids will love playing in the open grazing lawns dotted with trees.
Best time to visit Children’s Park: February-April and August-November
- Opening days of Children’s Park: Except Monday, Park remain open on all 6 days
- Visiting hours of Children Park: 9:30 AM-7:30 PM (Summers)
- 9:30 AM-5:30 PM (Winters)
Time Required to visit Children’s Park: 3-4 hours (approx.)
Entry fee of Children’s Park: Free of cost
How to reach Children’s Park:
It is just adjacent to India Gate and could be reached by walking 5-10 minutes (approx.).
4. Marvel in the Colors of Delhi at Dilli Haat
A place full of traditional and artistic things, Dilli Haat in Delhi, is one of the biggest markets set up by the government to provide the platform for the artisans to sell their craft and items. You must visit Dilli Haat with your kids if you want to take the feel of the traditional weekly village market. Inside the Dilli Haat, you will see the cultural performance, and there are delicious cuisine options to gorge on. It is a must-visit place in Delhi with kids if you are looking to become a shopping spree. At Delhi Haat, you can buy handmade carpets, traditional woolen fabrics, cushions, etc.
Note: There are 3 Dilli Haats in Delhi – Pitampura, INA, and Janakpuri. All of them are well connected with Delhi metro.
Why should kids visit Dilli Haat?
- Take your kids to enjoy different cuisines in the food court.
- To witness cultural performances and folk dances.
- In February, there is a grand food festival inside Dilli Haat.
- Baisakhi festival is celebrated with full enthusiasm in April inside Dilli Haat.
- There are alluring play areas inside the Dilli Haat for kids.
Best time to visit Dilli Haat: October-March
Time required to visit Dilli Hatt: 3-4 hours (approx.)
Opening days of Dilli Hatt: All the 7 days
Visiting hours of Dilli Hatt: 10:30 AM – 10 PM
Entry fee of Dilli Haat:
- INR 30 for Indians (approx.) per person
- INR 10 for children (approx.) per person
- INR 100 for foreigners (approx.) per person
How to reach Dilli Haat:
Reaching Dilli Haat from Delhi Metro, private cab, bus, and auto is very easy.
5. Explore Old Delhi Streets on Bicycle
Not many tourists realize just how kid-friendly Delhi is. The best way to explore Delhi is to take a bicycle tour and voyage across the winding streets of Old Delhi. Purani Delhi (the old Delhi) is known for its historic charm. Ride the bicycle to discover to delve in the arrow lanes on weekends. Visit the UNESCO labeled Red Fort – the epitome of Mughal architecture. Stop by the photogenic Jama Maszid for photography seasons. If you are looking for an experienced rich activity to do with kids in Delhi, navigate Old Delhi on a bicycle with your kids.
Why should kids visit Old Delhi?
- Take your kids for a food walk in the Chandini Chowk.
- Buy the books from Daryaganj Sunday book market.
- The kids will love the splendid sunset at Jama Maszid.
- Little tourists will love watching the light and sound show at Red Fort.
Note: Red Fort remains closed on Mondays. One needs to book the ticket in advance to enjoy the light and sound show.
Best time to visit Old Delhi: July-September, and October to February
Entry fee of Red Fort:
- INR 35 for Indians (approx.) per person
- INR 500 for foreigners (approx.) per person
Light and sound show timings at Red Fort
- (May-August): 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM for Hindi show
9 PM – 10 PM for English show
- (September-October): 7 AM – 8 PM for Hindi show
8:30 PM – 9:30 PM for English show
Note: Light and sound show price: INR 60 (approx.) for adults (during weekdays)
INR 80 (approx.) for adults (during weekends)
How to reach Old Delhi:
Chandini Chowk Metro station and Old Delhi railway station are located near Old Delhi. You can also reach here by taking a private cab, bus from any point of Delhi.
6. Seek Blessings at Akshardham Temple
Akshardham Temple is one of the most visited tourist attractions in Delhi. It proudly calls up spiritual seekers. As the name suggests, it’s an exquisite temple dedicated to Swaminarayan – an Indian yogi and spiritual leader. This temple in Delhi has marked its name in the Guinness World Record because of its the largest Hindu Temple across the world. You can play strong spiritual enlightenment with kids at Akshardham Temple. Its architecture is jaw-dropping, and tranquillity is driven throughout the temple region.
Why should kids visit Akshardham Temple?
- Kids will love witnessing the water show after the sunset.
- The infrastructure of this temple will leave your kids spellbound.
- For an interesting boat ride within the temple complex.
- To witness the ultimate example of sculptural beauty.
Note: The temple prohibits taking electronic gadgets like cameras and mobile phones inside. Also, you can’t take food inside the temple.
Best time to visit Akshardham Temple: November-February
Time required to visit Akshardham Temple: 6-7 hours (approx.)
Opening days of Akshardham Temple: Except Monday, all 6 days of the week
Visiting hours of Akshardham Temple: 10:30 AM – 6 PM (time may change)
Entry fee of Akshardham Temple: Free of cost
Price of the exhibition for adults: INR 100 (approx.) for children, INR 125 (approx.) for senior citizens, INR 170 (approx.) for adults
Price of musical fountain: INR 20 (approx.) for children, INR 30 (approx.) for adults
Note: Kids below 4 years of age can enjoy the musical fountain and exhibition free of cost.
How to reach Akshardham Temple?
Akshardham Temple has a metro station on its name – Akshardham metro. You could reach it via the metro journey. Private cabs from all the locations in Delhi could be considered to reach Akshardham. Also, local buses by the Delhi government are the cheapest mode of transport to reach Akshardham Temple.
Also Check-out 5 Safe Places to visit near Delhi with kids during Covid
7. Witness the Majesty of Qutub Minar
Experiencing the heritage overdose on a Delhi trip with kids is one of the best experiences. And Qutub Minar couldn’t be left behind when you are in Delhi. It is one of the tallest structures of the middle ages. Hug the minaret of Qutub Minar which is made up of red sandstone. This historic place is surrounded by plenty of significant structures which are perfect for heritage overdose. There is an iron pillar at the Qutub Complex which is popular for its rust-resistant nature. Your child will become intrigued while spotting the majesty of Qutub Minar.
Why Should Kids Visit Qutub Minar?
- Kids can have photography seasons.
- Take your kids to see the UNESCO Heritage labeled Qutub Minar.
- Go for a heritage walk with your kids at Qutub Complex.
Best time to visit Qutub Minar: October-February
Time required to visit Qutub Minar: 3-4 hours (approx.)
Opening days of Qutub Minar: All the 7 days
Visiting hours of Qutub Minar: 7 AM – 5 PM
Entry fee of Qutub Minar:
- INR 30 (approx.) for Indians
- INR 500 (approx.) for foreigners
- INR 30 for SAARC countries – Afghanistan, Bhutan, Pakistan, Srilanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Maldives.
Note: If your child is below 15, there will be no entry fee for them to enter Qutub Minar.
How to reach Qutub Minar:
It can be reached by boarding Delhi Metro and arrive at Mehrauli Metro Station. The place is located near Mehrauli. Also, taxi, bus service from all points of Delhi connect Qutub Minar.
8. Calm Your Mind at Bangla Sahib Gurudwara
Bangla Sahib Gurudwara is the perfect place to visit in Delhi with kids. It is a holy temple of Sikhs. Here you will find all types of travelers – backpackers, family tourists, couples. You along with your kids can discover the true essence of faith by taking Kada Parsad – “Special Halwa”. Gurudwara Bangla Sahib is a magnificent white marble structure, adorned by golden domes. The Gurudwara is located in central Delhi and is one of the best spiritual attractions in Delhi for international tourists as well!
The Gurudwara organizes daily langar (free food) amongst many charitable activities. There are shops outside the Bangla Sahib where you can buy holy threads, head scarfs, and holy Sikh books.
Why Should Kids Visit Bangla Sahib Gurudwara?
- For taking the plunge into the holy pool which has medicinal properties.
- For eating the langar (food prepared by the Sikhs).
- Take a walk across the sacred pool with kids.
- Spending an evening with kids at Bangla Sahib is a rejuvenating experience.
To attend the prayers seasons inside the Gurudwara.
Best time to visit Bangla Sahib Gurudwara: October-February, March-September
Time required to visit Bangla Sahib Gurudwara: 4-5 (approx.)
Opening days of Bangla Sahib Gurudwara: All the 7 days
Visiting hours of Bangla Sahib Gurudwara: 24*7
Entry fee of Bangla Sahib Gurudwara: Free for all – including Indians and foreigners
Note: Photography is not allowed inside the Gurudwara. Plus, cover your head with a scarf. Wear clothes that cover your full body. Also, maintain silence while you are in Bangla Sahib Gurudwara.
How to reach Bangla Sahib Gurudwara:
With three metro stations near Bangla Sahib Gurudwara – Shivaji Stadium, Patel Chowk, Rajiv Chowk, reaching it is easy. However, you can take a cab to reach this holy Sikh temple.
9. Tour The Mirza Ghalib Haveli
To get the dose of history from the famous poet Mirza Galib, you must take your kid to his Haveli. Mirza Galib Haveli is a 300-year-old Mughal Era Structure, which was once gifted to him by his admirer. The poet has spent around 10 years of his life inside this Haveli. Tour this famous Haveli in Delhi with your kids as it is the same place where he wrote his finest ghazals. It is said that Mirza Ghalib lived here during some of the worst days of his life. This is the time when the sun of Mughal rule was falling on India. A museum has been built inside the mansion in which some of Mirza Ghalib’s unique works are decorated.
Why Should Kids Visit Mirza Galib Haveli?
- For reading Galib’s poems and couplets.
- To understand the life of the famous Urdu poet.
- To indulge in the rustic charm of Old Delhi.
Best time to visit Mirza Ghalib Haveli: October-February, March-September
Time required to visit Mirza Ghalib Haveli: 30-40 minutes (approx.)
Opening days of Mirza Galib Haveli: Tuesday-Sunday
Visiting hours of Mirza Galib Haveli: 11 AM-1:30 PM, and 2 PM-6 PM
Entry fee of Mirza Ghalib Haveli: Free of cost
Note: The Mirza Ghalib Haveli remains closed on Monday and Gazetted holidays.
How to reach Mirza Ghalib Haveli:
Chandni Chowk Metro Station is the nearest metro to reach. Local buses run to reach Mirza Galib Haveli from the destinations across Delhi.
Delhi is the cornerstone of fun frolic experiences for both adults and kids. This colorful, bustling capital town has a lot to do and see for kids of all ages. Delhi is a famous tourist attraction that is full of awe-inspiring attractions. Plus, Delhi is easy to explore with little tourists and offers a safe environment. Transportation in the capital town is top-notch.
So, when are you planning to visit Delhi with Kids? If you are on a hunt for more kids’ friendly activities in Delhi, let us know in the comments.
10. Hauz Khas Village
Little tourists will love the vibes and ambiance of Hauz Khas Village. Located in the heart of South Delhi, Hauz Khas Village is not actually a village, in fact, it is more like a community of one of the best restaurants in the town dotted with several ice cream parlors. A visit to Hauz Khas Village is the pass to enter the Hauz Khas Fort, next to the Hauz Khas Village.
There is a separate parking area for the tourists as well as locals. So park your car or arrive by taxi. Then, walk for around 5-10 minutes passing through the chic galleries and trendy restaurants before entering the gate to Hauz Khas Village.
Why Should Kids Visit Hauz Khas Village?
- To enter the Hauz Khas Village Fort for free
- To relish mouthwatering cuisine
- To indulge in playful activities like badminton inside the vast lush green space of the fort
- To explore the nearby temple within walking distance of Hauz Khas Village.
- Best time to visit: Throughout the year
- Time required to visit Hauz Khas Village: 2-3 hours (approx.)
- Opening days of Hauz Khas Village: All the 7 days
- Visiting hours of Hauz Khas Village: 10:30 AM – 11.30 PM
Note: Only a handful of Pubs and restaurants remain open in Hauz Khas Village till 1:30 AM.
How to reach Hauz Khas Village?
Hauz Khas has its own metro station, which is 2 kilometers (approx.) from the Hauz Khas Village. Moreover, cabs and state bus service is well connected to Hauz Khas.
11. Let Your Kids Buy Their Favorite Video Games At Nehru Place
Nehru Place in Delhi is the lit hub of computing-related accessories and is one of the largest epic centers to buy mobile phone accessories. If your kids or child is fascinated by playing video games, take them to Nehru Place and buy trendy mobile covers. Also, keep an eye on the several eateries at Nehru Place because it is a huge complex where you will find everything for your gadget appetite child. Nehru Place is one of the best places to visit in Delhi in all seasons. But if possible, avoid extreme summers from April to July.
Why Should Kids Visit Nehru Place?
- To buy cheap electronic items at a pocket-friendly price
- To relish local Delhi food
- To buy trendy mobile and laptop covers
Best time to visit Nehru Place: Early summer, monsoon, winter
Time required to visit Nehru Place: 1-2 hours (approx.)
Opening days of Nehru Place: Expect Sunday; it remains open all the 6 days
Visiting hours of Nehru Place: 10:30 AM – 9:30 PM
Note: Make sure you buy products with a proper bill to get covered with a warranty.
How to reach Nehru Place?
Nehru Place has its own metro station, which is miles away! Furthermore, you can hire a cab or sit in a state-run bus to reach Nehru Place.
Also Read: 10 Best Places to Visit in One Day Trip From Delhi
12. Pamper the Growing Personality in Your Kid At Adventure Island
Kids love adventure, and so do the adults. If that is sounding something you want, pamper the growing personality in your kid at Adventure Island. This place is one of the best waterparks in Delhi, where you will find gravity-defying rides for both adults and kids. There is a separate kids’ section play arena where multiple rides are dotted for the little tourists.
From Splashdown to Z-Force, from Wave Rocker to Swan Boat and Water Coaster, spoil your kids with easy to moderate level rides depending on their endurance and age limit. Inside Adventure Island, there is a huge walking arena to stroll with your family. Rain Dancing in the musical fountain with your toddler is one of the best things to do in Delhi with kids of all ages.
Why Should Kids Visit Adventure Island?
- To enjoy jaw-dropping adventure and water rides
- To spend a good relaxing evening amidst the bunch of playful rides
- For shopping, venture inside the Metro Walk (Shopping Mall)
- To rain dance in the musical foundation
Best time to visit Adventure Island: Summer, monsoon, winter
Time required to visit Adventure Island: 4-5 hours (approx.)
Opening days of Adventure Island: Expect Sunday; it remains
Visiting hours of Adventure Island: 11 AM – 7 PM
Entry Fee of Adventure Island
- INR 550 (approx.) for adults per person
- INR 500 (approx.) for kids per person
Note: The water park remains closed from November till April. Plus, one needs to pay different charges on weekdays and weekends. Therefore, we suggest you cross-check the actual ticket price because the price is subject to change anytime, depending on several factors.
How to reach Adventure Island?
Rithala Metro Station is the nearest metro to Adventure Island, Rohini. Also, cabs and state-run buses connect Rohini across all regions of Delhi.
13. Adore the Lush Greenery of Lodhi Garden
When your toddler brushes up his/her in the lush green soft grass, it will open up an immense pleasure and joy to them. Let them manifest this joy on a Sunday morning or evening at Lodhi Garden. Touted to be one of the greenest gardens in Delhi, sprawling over 90 acres (approx.), inside the garden, there are 15th-century Mughal tombs that will reward your kids with the rich history of Delhi.
Ensure you keep your cameras handy because there is a small pond inside the Lodhi Garden where you can see the migratory birds flourishing. Did we mention that Lodhi Garden is one of the best places to indulge in morning meditation with kids? If you want to give your toddler a meaningful holiday experience in Delhi, adorning the lush greenery and practicing morning yoga and meditation are the best things to do in Delhi.
Why Should Kids Visit Lodhi Garden?
- To satiate their penchant for photographing the lush green surroundings
- For an epic encounter with migratory birds like Hornbill, Kingfisher, Babblers, and Parakeets
Best time to visit Lodhi Garden: Early summer, monsoon, winter
Time required to visit Lodhi Garden: 2-3 hours (approx.)
Opening days of Lodhi Garden: All the 7 days
Visiting hours of Lodhi Garden: 5 AM – 8 PM
Entry fee of Lodhi Garden: Free for all
Note: You might not get to explore the full Lodhi Garden in a few days because several movie films are shot here. But it will not be a matter of concern because the park is very vast to explore.
How to Reach Lodhi Garden?
Board a metro to Jor Bagh or Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, near the nearby metro stations to Lodhi Garden. However, buses and cabs function from morning till evening.
14. Allow Your Kids to Clamber Upon Real Train at National Rail Museum
Let your kids beam in excitement watching all those immobile engines and train coaches at the National Rail Museum. This is the place where you can actually take a short train ride and feel like you have landed yourself in the bygone era of India. As the name suggests, National Rail Museum is a 10 acre rail-related exhibition where clambering upon standstill or real moving trains is the best thing to do in Delhi with kids. Toy Train rides inside the National Rail Museum are a big hit amongst the local toddlers of Delhi. So make sure you let your kids go inside the Museum, which exhibits flawless knowledge about the history of the Indian Railways.
Why Should Kids Visit the National Rail Museum?
- To enjoy the toy train ride that runs along with the parameter of the museum
- Every nook and corner of the National Rail Museum is photogenic
- For buying miniature train models of a bygone era
- For an evening well spend with family
Best time to visit National Rail Museum: Early summer, monsoon, winter
Time required to visit National Rail Museum: 3-4 hours (approx.)
Opening days of National Rail Museum: Except Monday, it remains open for the rest 6 days
Visiting hours of National Rail Museum: 10 AM – 5 PM
Entry fee of National Rail Museum:
- 10 INR (approx.) for kids
- 50 INR (approx.) for adults per person
Toy Train Ticket Price: 100 INR (approx.) per person for adults and kids
Note: Timings may change on special occasions and during festivals.
How to reach the National Rail Museum?
Dhaula Kuan metro, INA metro, and RK Puram metro stations are the few nearby metro rail heads to reach the National Rail Museum. However, the best is you hire the OLA/Uber/Blue Smart Cab to reach.