Kailash Mansarovar is one of the most revered pilgrimage sites among Hindus. It also holds religious significance among other religions including Bon, Jainism, and Sikhism. Nestled in the lap of the mighty Himalayas in the Tibet Autonomous Region of China, Mount Kailash is believed to be an abode of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. This is among the most sacred sites in the world where devotees of different religions visit every year to seek blessings. Also, due to climatic conditions and its topography, Kailash Mansarovar Yatra is one of the arduous pilgrimage sojourns.
Here are some of the travel tips for Kailash Yatra that can make your journey hassle-free.
- Visa/Permit Information for Entering China during Kailash Mansarovar Yatra
- Weather conditions near Kailash Mansarovar
- Health Considerations for Kailash Yatra
- Fitness for Kailash Mansarovar Travel
- Altitude Sickness during Kailash Yatra
- Tips to prevent acute mountain sickness during Kailash Yatra:
- Currency Guidelines for Kailash Mansarovar travel
- Transportation during Kailash Mansarovar Yatra
- Types of Accommodation during Kailash Mansarovar Yatra
- Mobile Network near Kailash Mansarovar
- General Considerations for Packing for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra
Take a look at the detailed information about the traveling tips for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra 2022 that will help you to plan an enjoyable tour.
Visa/ Permit Information for Entering China during Kailash Mansarovar Yatra
It is mandatory to have a Chinese visa with a Tibet travel permit to enter China and visit the Mount Kailash region. Kailash Mansarovar is situated in the remote corner of Tibet, which is a restricted area. The Chinese visa is issued for groups and not for a single person. It is a paper-based group visa, which is a special visa for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra. Everyone is required to have this visa to enter China. Apart from this, Tibet Travel Permit is also required, which is issued by the Chinese government.
Weather conditions near Kailash Mansarovar
Situated in Ngari Prefecture in Tibet, Kailash Mansarovar lies in the extreme west of the Tibet region at a high altitude. Owing to its topography, the climatic conditions in the Kailash Mansarovar region remain harsh and cold throughout the year. The average temperature ranges in the region range from -14 degrees Celsius to 20 degrees Celsius. The summer season is the best time to visit Kailash Mansarovar. From May to September, Kailash Yatra remains open for devotees. The clear skies, warm temperature, and balmy weather make the holy Yatra comfortable. The delightful summer months are the perfect time to visit Kailash Yatra. In the winter season, the Ngari region of Tibet experiences heavy snowfall that makes the region inaccessible.
Health Considerations for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra
Kailash Mansarovar Yatra is one of the toughest Yatras in the world. Mount Kailash and Mansarovar Lake are situated in a high-altitude region of Tibet. To embark on Kailash Mansarovar Yatra, you need to make sure that your health is in good condition and you are physically fit to undertake such a journey. It requires a physical fitness certificate from a government-authorized doctor, which clearly states that you are fit to travel to a high-altitude region. It is highly recommended to indulge in physical activities 60 to 90 days before the journey including Yoga, Pranayam, jogging, running, and walking. Also, you should carry some basic things with you if you are planning to have the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra such as:
- Diamox (for high-altitude)
- Medical kit including basic medicines.
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Wet tissues
- Adhesive tape Rolls
- Acne Bandages, Elastic Bandages, Plasters
- Water disinfectant tablets, Antibiotics with doctors recommendation
- Cold and flu tablets, Throat lozenges
- Aspirin or Paracetamol for pain and fever
Fitness for Kailash Mansarovar Trip
Kailash Mansarovar is located in the high-altitude region, which makes the climatic conditions tough and terrains inhospitable for humans. To reach the base of Mount Kailash and Mansarovar Lake, you have to trek in rough conditions, which is not possible for everyone. It requires good physical fitness to do so. You are suggested to indulge in fitness exercise before the commencement of the journey so that your body will get prepared for the trek to Mount Kailash. Some basic Yogas and Pranayams like Bhastrika, Anulom Vilom, and Kapal-Bharti are some of the activities you can do while preparing for Yatra. Doing such practices enhance the efficiency of your body to work better under tough climatic conditions.
Altitude Sickness during Kailash Yatra
Mansarovar Lake is perched at an altitude of 4,590 m above sea level and Mount Kailash Parikrama’s altitude is 4,500 m above sea level. At such a high altitude, Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) is common among people. However, the effect of AMS varies from one person to another since some have a highly strong effect while the others have less or negligible effect. It is important to do some Yoga activities and indulge in physical activities before visiting Kailash Yatra as a physically fit person is less prone to AMS. Some symptoms of altitude sickness are breathlessness, poor sleeping patterns, and discomfort.
Tips to prevent acute mountain sickness during Kailash Yatra:
- To avoid altitude sickness, it is advisable for the pilgrims to drink a good amount of water in order to save themselves from excessive dehydration as well as from the prevailing harsh weather conditions there.
- It is important to consume food that is rich in carbohydrates and healthy.
- Take short breaks during the trek. There is no need to push yourself beyond your physical limit.
- Do not consume alcohol or smoke cigarettes during the trek in order to avoid dehydration.
- Avoid the intake of cold eatables during and before the commencement of the tour.
Currency Guidelines for Kailash Mansarovar travel
Kailash Mansarovar is located in the Tibet Autonomous Region of China. The most commonly accepted currency in Tibet is the Chinese Yuan. However, US Dollars are also most prominently accepted in the majority of the areas in China. For a convenient and hassle-free trip, it is advisable to carry Chinese Yuan. Some of the places here accept credit cards but these are not quite easily spotted and also ATMs are not easily located here.
Transportation during Kailash Mansarovar Yatra
Even though Tibet is situated in the most inhospitable region in the world, the region is easily accessible by various modes of transport in China. The buses and jeeps are easily available for traveling locally within the regions of Tibet. Kailash Mansarovar Yatra by helicopter is also available, which allows people to enjoy the scenic views of the surroundings and reach their destination without hassle.
Types of Accommodation during Kailash Mansarovar Yatra
There are numerous guest houses located in the remote areas of Tibet where you can stay during the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra. However, there are only basic facilities available there. Luxury hotels and resorts are available in the cities and major towns. During the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra trek, you will stay in tents as in the higher elevation areas, there are no hotels and guesthouses available.
Mobile Network near Kailash Mansarovar
During your Kailash Manasarovar Yatra, there is limited mobile connectivity available. However, most of the time there is no connectivity and network. Also, the facility of communication equipment would be unavailable. The last place where there will be a mobile network available for international calls is Darchen. Here, you can seek help from hotels to make calls at your home or office.
General Considerations for Packing for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra
- During the journey, most of the time you have to carry your luggage on your own. So, it is recommended to keep your luggage light.
- Pack according to the weather conditions. Carry layers of clothes as the temperature dips in the evening.
- Carry an ID card, important documents, cash, and tickets handy.
- Pack waterproof clothes, woolen clothes, caps, gloves, scarves, general medicines, and a torch.
- Also, carry packaged food, dry fruits, and energy bars along with you for the tour for your ease.
Now, you have the travel tips for the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra that can help you to plan the tour and make your trip memorable. Make sure, you will keep these things in mind while preparing for the Yatra. Keep your fitness up-to-date, pack accordingly, and book your Kailash Mansarovar Yatra tour in advance to save yourself from last -minute hassle. Contact us for more information and to book a tour with us! Don’t forget to share your experience with us in the comments!
Kailash Mansarovar Yatra Packages