Darjeeling, set in the northern area of the state of West Bengal, opens its arms to people from all over the world throughout the year. Darjeeling is one of the famous hill stations in India for family, friends, honeymooners, and other cherished experiences. Reaching the town of Darjeeling is not challenging as it is well connected to different corners of the world via air, road, and train.
For those planning to visit, there is all information on how to reach Darjeeling.
Best Way to Reach Darjeeling
- Darjeeling from Delhi by Flight & Train
- Darjeeling from Kolkata by Bus, Train
- Darjeeling from Siliguri By Bus, Taxi/Car
- Darjeeling from NJP By Bus, Taxi/Car
- Darjeeling by Flight, Train & Road
Darjeeling By Flight
The nearest airport to Darjeeling is Bagdogra Airport (IXB). It operates regular domestic flight connections with limited international flights. Major flights in Darjeeling are from Kolkata, Delhi, and Guwahati, while internationally from Bangkok, Bhutan, and Nepal. From the airport, the town lies around 95 km away. Hire taxis to reach Darjeeling through the scenic route through the mountains.
Major Airport: Bagdogra Airport
|Destinations||Approx. Travel Time by Flight|
|Delhi to Darjeeling||2 hr|
|Kolkata to Darjeeling||1 hr 10 min|
|Mumbai to Darjeeling||2 hr 50 min|
|Chennai to Darjeeling||2 hr 40 min|
|Ahmedabad to Darjeeling||4 hr 45 min|
Darjeeling By Train
Darjeeling is connected to the Jalpaiguri Railway Station (NJP). The railhead has frequent train connections with major parts of the country, including Kolkata, Delhi, Guwahati, Chennai, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Bhubaneshwar, and Kochi.
In addition to the usual train route, there is the scenic Darjeeling Toy Train, named among the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The icon of heritage railways in India, the steam engine-run train ascends to the hill town of Darjeeling through the steep gradient of the mountains from New Jalpaiguri. It takes over 7 hours to complete the one-way journey, with stops at the many hill towns that fall on the route.
The view of the Darjeeling tea gardens is a visual treat on the trip. Even in the olden days, the great tunnels and bridges are feats of engineering. If it's not possible to ride the Toy Train, hire private cabs outside the station to get to Darjeeling.
|Destinations||Approx. Time by Train||Distance|
|Delhi to Darjeeling||27 hr 15 min||1,517 km|
|Kolkata to Darjeeling||12 hr 45 min||617 km|
|Guwahati to Darjeeling||11 hr 40 min||515 km|
|Mumbai to Darjeeling||25 hr 55 min||2,341 km|
|Chennai to Darjeeling||38 hr 10 min||2,266 km|
Darjeeling By Road
Scenic roads lead to the beautiful hill town of Darjeeling. It is well-connected to major cities such as Siliguri, Gangtok, Kolkata, and Kalimpong. From the New Jalpaiguri Railway Station or the Bagdogra Airport, there are several roads to reach Darjeeling. The Hill Cart Road (NH-55) is the main route to the hill town from the lower plains.
|Destinations||Distance||Travel Time by Road|
|Siliguri to Darjeeling||65 kms||2 hr 30 min|
|Kalimpong to Darjeeling||52 kms||2 hr 5 min|
|Kolkata to Darjeeling||620 kms||16 hr 30 min|
|Mirik to Darjeeling||40 kms||1 hr 49 min|
|Kurseong to Darjeeling||30 kms||1 hr 24 min|
|Ahmedabad to Darjeeling||2237 kms||40 hr 00 min|
Darjeeling By Cab / Car
The tourist haven of Darjeeling does not lack options to get tourists to their favorite holiday getaway. Cab services are easily available for the town from the airport or the railway station to reach Darjeeling. You can hire your cab or get shared taxis. The drive-by personal vehicle is impressive as the view makes your mood for an exciting vacation.
How to reach Darjeeling from Delhi
Delhi is almost 1500 km from Darjeeling. There is no direct rail or air connectivity to Darjeeling from Delhi. However, the most convenient way to reach Darjeeling from Delhi is by flight. Tourists have to reach Siliguri or New Jalpaiguri to reach Darjeeling as these are the two nearest major cities, which are well-connected with the national capital.
Here are the ways to reach Darjeeling from Delhi by Fligth and by Train:
Delhi to Darjeeling By Flight:
The nearest major airport is Bagdogra Airport, located 70 km from Darjeeling, which takes around 3 hours. Therefore, the best way to reach the beautiful hill town of Darjeeling from Delhi is by flight. There are many direct and connecting flights between Delhi and Bagdogra. Several airlines operate flights daily for Bagdogra from Delhi, including IndiGo, Spice Jet, and Go Air.
Delhi to Darjeeling By Train:
It is the best way to reach the famous hill town of Darjeeling, West Bengal. The nearest railway station is New Jalpaiguri railway station (NJP), located at 73 km & it takes approximately 3 hours to reach Darjeeling. New Jalpaiguri is well-connected with Delhi. There are numerous trains between these two stations, and some of the popular trains are North-East Express, Awadh Assam Express, NDLS-NJP Bi-weekly Express, NDLS-DBRT Rajdhani Express, and Brahmaputra Mail.
How to reach Darjeeling from Kolkata
Darjeeling is situated almost 750 km from Kolkata. They are well-connected by road and rail networks. The cheapest way is to travel by Train, and one can also reach Darjeeling by bus.
Here are the 2 options to reach Darjeeling from Kolkata by bus and by Train:
Kolkata to Darjeeling By Train:
The train is the best way to reach Darjeeling from Kolkata, and you can take a train to New Jalpaiguri railway station & Siliguri Junction. Both are the nearest major railhead to reach Darjeeling. Tourists can board a train to any of these stations from Kolkata to reach Darjeeling. However, one has to travel to Darjeeling by road from these stations – either by bus or by taxi.
Kolkata to Darjeeling By Road:
There is no direct bus from Kolkata to Darjeeling. Tourists must board a bus from Kolkata to Siliguri and then change into a privately run bus from Siliguri to reach Darjeeling. There are regular Volvo and government buses between Kolkata and Siliguri.
Route Kolkata to Darjeeling:
- Route: Kolkata – Barasat – Krishnanager – Berhampore – Faraaka – Malda –Raiganj – Botol Badi – Dhantolla – Islampur – Bidhannager – Bagdogra – Siliguri – Kurseong – Ghoom – Darjeeling.
- Road Conditions Kolkata to Darjeeling:The road condition till Siliguri is good as this route is mainly on the National Highway. From Kurseong, the hilly roads start to Darjeeling, with rough patches.
How to reach Darjeeling from Siliguri by bus, Cab/Taxi
Siliguri is located 65 km from Darjeeling and is easily accessible by road. It takes around 3 hours to reach Darjeeling. Tourists can hire a taxi, travel in their car, or catch a bus from Siliguri.
- Siliguri to Darjeeling by Bus: The main bus stand in Siliguri is Tenzing Norgay Central Bus Terminus, situated on Hill Cart Road. It is located 8 km from New Jalpaiguri Railway Station. There are regular state-owned transport buses and private buses from Siliguri to Darjeeling. The bus takes around 3 hours to reach Darjeeling.
- Siliguri to Darjeeling by Cab/Taxi/Car: Tourists can drive on NH 55, the main road between Darjeeling and Siliguri. The road via Rohini takes 3.5 hours, and Mirik and Sukhiapokhri take around 4.5 hours to reach Darjeeling.
Road Conditions Silliguri to Darjeeling: While traveling from Siliguri to Darjeeling, the hilly route starts from Kurseong. The route via Rohini and Mirik is average. And the route via Pankhabari is narrow and has some rough patches.
How to reach Darjeeling from New Jalpaiguri by Bus, Cab/Taxi
New Jalpaiguri railway station is a major junction and the nearest railhead from Darjeeling, located about 73 km. They are well-connected by road network. It takes a drive time of about 3 hours to reach Darjeeling by car. Tourists can also board a bus or hire a taxi to Darjeeling from New Jalpaiguri.
- NJP to Darjeeling by Bus: The nearest bus stand from New Jalpaiguri is Tenzing Norgay Central Bus Terminus, Siliguri. It is located about 8 km away from the NJP railway station. There are regular government-owned and private buses ply between Siliguri and Darjeeling.
- NJP to Darjeeling by Cab/Taxi/Car: The route to Darjeeling from New Jalpaiguri is along NH 55 (Hill Cart Road) via Siliguri. It is the most used route by the traveler. Tourists can drive via Rohini, which is quite scenic. The other route is via Mirik, which is longer than the different route but offers beautiful views of tea estates.
Road Conditions NJP to Darjeeling
- Hill Cart Road is well maintained.
- Road via Rohini meets the National Highway at Kurseong and offers breathtaking views.
- The road via Pankhabari is narrow and winding but is shorter.
- The route via Mirik is longer but one of the most scenic routes.
By booking a Darjeeling tour package, you can enjoy your Darjeeling tour with a smooth traveling experience. We include private transfers, meals, stays, and sightseeing in our tour packages of Darjeeling.