Elephant Festival Assam(Last Updated 05 Aug, 2021)
The State of Assam organizes one of the largest elephant festivals in India for the purpose of conservation and safeguard of Asiatic elephants. The Elephant Festival in Assam is organized by the Forest Department and Tourism Department, Government of Assam in February every year. Their aim is to promote eco-tourism, protect the Asiatic elephants, and spread awareness on the cohabitation of elephants and humans in harmony. Apart from this, this Elephant festival in Kaziranga draws a huge crowd in the state during this period as thousands of tourists flock to Kaziranga in Assam to be a part of the beautiful processions at Kaziranga Elephant Festival.
Where is the Elephant Festival Celebrated?
The Elephant Festival is celebrated in the northeastern state of Assam, India.
Elephant Festival Dates 2021
The Elephant Festival of Kaziranga in Assam is commemorated every year at the Kaziranga National Park in Assam from 11th to 17th February.
Duration of the festival
This festival is a week-long celebration, which the tourists look forward to.
History Elephant Festival
To promote eco-tourism, human-elephant cohabitation, and preservation of the Asiatic elephants, the Assam Forest Department and the Department of Tourism mutually started Kaziranga Elephant Festival in 2003. Since then, the people of Assam celebrate this festival with full enthusiasm and fervor.
Significance of Elephant Festival
The festival of Elephants in Kaziranga is an assembly that is aimed at increasing eco-tourism amongst human beings. The Elephant Festival is also intended to raise awareness about the elephant’s struggle for all kinds of limited resources with humans. The objective of the Kaziranga Elephant Festival is to find out a solution to resolve the increasing man-elephant conflict.
How is the Elephant Festival Celebrated?
- The Elephant Festival in Kaziranga is a special event held in Assam. During this festival -
- The elephants are well cleaned and decorated from top to bottom.
- Elephants participate in regional cultural activities including dancing, dedicated to them.
- About a hundred domestic Asiatic Elephants play games like football and dance away to glory.
- Processions are held by nearly a hundred elephants accompanied by troupes beating drums and cymbals.
- Elephants catwalk in front of the audience.
Travel tips for attending Elephant Festival
- If you are planning to attend the Elephant Festival, you may like to explore our collection of hotels in Assam for the availability of accommodation at your desired location.
- Learn about the loss of Asiatic lions and why they need to be protected.
- Take advantage of your time in Assam and enjoy an elephant safari at Kaziranga National Park.