Dussehra(Last Updated 13 Dec, 2022)
Dussehra is one of the most popular festivals in India and is celebrated with much pomp and gusto. This festival must be attended by those who want to get a closer look into the religious traditions of India. Dussehra festival marks the victory of good over evil. The religious belief behind this festival is that Lord Rama and his brother Lakshmana defeated Ravana during a colossal battle. Masses of tourists from different parts of the world visit India in order to witness this grand festival.
Dussehra marks the triumph of truth and love over evil and hatred. This is the principle that all humanity thrives off around the world. Ravana was a big devotee of Lord Shiva but his anger and ego put him to the ground. Lord Rama, in order to save his wife from him, killed Ravana in a battle. This win of good over evil is what Dussehra is celebrated for and Lord Rama is honored to kill Ravana on this day.
Although Dusshera is the main festival of Hindus, it is still celebrated by people who believe in the idea of living with peace, love, togetherness, fearlessness, and purity. All of these are reflected in the Indian epic Ramayana.
As per Hindu mythology, Ravana kidnapped Goddess Sita and took her to his palace. She was kept out of the reach of her husband. On the other hand, Lord Rama found a way through the Indian Ocean to reach Ravana’s Lanka (palace) accompanied by his brother Lakshman and Hanuman. Lord Hanuman had a troop of monkeys, which aimed at uniting the beloved souls. And after fierce battles and an ocean of blood flowed across the way, Lord Rama finally unshackled his love, Sita.
Dussehra 2023 Dates
This year, Dussehra will be celebrated on 24 October 2023.
How is it celebrated?
Several traditions and customs are performed during Dussehra’s days. Massive statues of Ravana, Kumbhakaran, and Meghnad are packed with firecrackers and set on fire, which is a great sight for viewers. People chant ‘Jai Shree Ram’ marking the victory of Lord Rama over Ravana. Also, Durga Puja is organized in various parts of Delhi like Kalibari (Mayur Vihar-1), Kashmiri Gate, CR Park Kalibari, and Minto Road Puja Samiti.
Few days before this, Ram Leela is organized in different areas of New Delhi, where performers dress up as characters from Ramayana and enact scenes from it. It is seen and enjoyed by Delhites and tourists in large numbers. On the last day of Ramleela, i.e the day of Vijay Dashmi, the statue of Ravana is burned.
Venues for Ravan Dahan and Ramleela in Delhi
Here are the places in Delhi where Ramleela and Ravan Dahan are organized -
- Ramlila Maidan, Ajmeri Gate
- Lal Qila Maidan, Red Fort
- DDA Ground NSP, Pitampura
- DDA Grounds, Patparganj
- Janakpuri Ramlila Ground
- Dwarka Ground, Sector 10
- CBD Ground Karkardooma
- Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium
- Ramlila Ground, Keshav Puram
- Shubhash Maidan, Parade Ground
Highlights of Dussehra celebrations in New Delhi
Some of the highlights of Dussehra celebrations in New Delhi are –
- Witness the burning statues of Ravana, Kumbhkaran, and Meghnad at places in Delhi as the city is well-known for this ancient tradition.
- Dandiya nights are organized in Delhi, which adds more fun to the Dussehra celebrations.
- While in Delhi, you can check out the major tourist attractions like Lotus Temple, Jantar Mantar, and Akshardham Temple.
- Head to Chandni Chowk for some budget-friendly shopping. Do not forget to savor the famous street foods in Old Delhi.
- Enjoy the pleasant weather of Delhi.
How to reach Delhi
By Air Take a flight to Indira Gandhi International Airport, which is well-connected to major Indian cities like Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, and Ahmedabad.
By Train - NDLS, Old Delhi Railway Station, and Delhi Junction are several railway stations you can get off at Delhi. These are connected with notable cities in India.
By Road - Several bus and taxi transportation services can be availed from nearby cities like Jaipur, Agra, Rishikesh, and Lucknow to reach Delhi. These are available on a regular basis. Else, you can plan a road trip with your friends, family, or significant other to take part in New Delhi Dussehra celebrations.
Where to stay
Delhi is a major tourist destination and has many places to stay. From budget-friendly to premium accommodation, you can choose the place to stay as per your needs and budget. Check out some of the top places to stay in Delhi during the Dussehra festival –
Budget Hotels in Delhi - Hotel Hari Piorko, Dewdrop Intercity Hotel, Rockland Hotel CR Park, Hotel City Star, Hotel Amax Inn
Luxury Hotels in Delhi - ITC Maurya, Roseate House, The Lodhi, Vivanta, Taj Palace, Eros Hotel, Crowne Plaza, Radisson Blu Plaza
- Delhi experiences a cool climate in October. So, it is advised to carry light jackets and sweaters with you.
- Dussehra is a popular time when tourists flock to Delhi. Thus, you must book your train/flight/bus tickets in advance to avoid the last-minute hassle.
- Take care of your belongings when you visit to witness Ravan Dahan or markets in general. There may be pickpockets roaming around.
All events & festivals in New Delhi
* required field