Located at the foothills of the Dhauladhar ranges, Kangra is believed to have been settled in the 4th century and is known as an ancient town. This town is famous for its pilgrims, adventure activities, and jaw-dropping locales. This town has changed significantly at the hands of the Mughals, Katoch, Sikh, and Gorkha dynasties. They have developed the city and made it a popular tourist destination.
Blessed with breathtaking beauty, picturesque landscapes, sprawling landscapes, and rich cultural heritage, Kangra is a paradise for nature lovers and thrill-seekers. This quaint town is known for its serene environs, making it a perfect place to rejuvenate and relax. Furthermore, this is an ideal tourist destination for peace lovers. Home to numerous temples and monasteries,
Places to visit in Kangra
The tourist destinations of Kangra are blessed with captivating charm and breathtaking beauty, which attract many tourists. With the backdrop of Dhauladhar ranges and endless tea plantations. McLeodganj and Dharamshala bound Kangra town. Numerous tourist places in Kangra make the trip to Kangra unforgettable, such as:
- Kangra Fort
- Pong Dam
- Brajeshwari Temple
- Masroor Rock Cut Temples
- Chinmaya Tapovan
- Kangra Art Museum
- Kareri Lake
- Chamunda Devi Temple
- Kangra Art Museum
- Bir & Billing
Things to do in Kangra
Kangra is a paradise for nature lovers, pilgrims, and adventure enthusiasts. There are many activities to do during the Kangra trip, which can make the vacation memorable for travelers. Some of the top things to do in Kangra are:
- Indulge in trekking, camping, hiking, and paragliding.
- Splurge in shopping in Kangra.
- Embark on the Triund, Indrahar, and Minikani Pass treks.
- Visit the ancient temples of Jwalamukhi Temples, Chamunda Devi Temple, and Kaleshwar Mahadev Temple.
- Explore historical monuments, Kangra Fort, and Taragarh Palace.
Best time to visit Kangra
September through June are the best months to visit Kangra. While the summer months of May–June, with a comfortable temperature of 22–30°C, are preferred by trekkers, September–November is ideal for sightseeing, all types of outings, and visiting the various temples in the vicinity of Kangra. Furthermore, you can lay off in January quickly because of the intolerably cold temperatures dipping to sub-zero levels. So, pack your bags and start your trip to Kangra with our Kangra tour packages.
How to reach Kangra
Kangra is easily accessible from the major cities and towns of the country by different modes of transport. The city has its airport, Gaggal Airport, but no railway station exists. Buses also commute daily from neighboring states, including Delhi and Chandigarh. Kangra is located near numerous big towns and cities that tourists can easily reach. Pathankot Railway Station is the major railhead, which serves as the primary railhead to Kangra. Therefore, traveling by train is the cheapest option to reach Kangra.
Accommodation in Kangra
Kangra is a tourist hotspot and popular pilgrimage destination frequented by travelers from all over the country. To offer world-class services to all kinds of travelers, Kangra houses a plethora of accommodation options. From hotels, resorts, and guest houses to homestays, Kangra has everything to make vacations memorable for visitors. There is a wide range of lodging options, from luxury resorts to budget hotels, and everything is available there. Luxury hotels have state-of-the-art facilities, and economical hotels have basic amenities to make vacations comfortable.
Where to eat in Kangra?
The rich cultural heritage and traditions of Kangra can be witnessed in the diversity of their cuisines. This city is known for its decadent culinary delights and offers a fantastic gastronomical journey. In addition, there are numerous multi-cuisine restaurants where tourists can savor the delectable meals of the region. Some popular places to eat in Kangra are Atithi Restaurant, Annapurna Bhojnalaya, Big Mugs, Hot Chilli Restaurant, Himachali Kulhad Bar, and many more cafes.
How to get around in Kangra?
All intra-city tours are possible only with a cab because of the steepness of the paths and the ease of travel. So make sure to book yours beforehand with a big bargain, or if you're taking your vehicle, have the tank full for the journey.
- It is advisable to book accommodations in advance to avoid last-minute hassles.
- Make sure to add the local festivities to the Kangra tour packages, as these festivals are the perfect way to get a sneak peek into the rich culture and traditions of the city.
- Plan a trip with a certified guide so that they will provide all the essential information and folklore related to the temples and attractions of the city.
- Private taxis and cabs are the most convenient option to get around the city. However, buses and auto-rickshaws are also available in the city to travel from one place to another, which are the cheapest options.
- Maintain the decorum of the temples and tourist places.
- Wear decent clothes while visiting religious sites. Cover the head and shoulders. Also, do not wear short clothes at the pilgrimage places.
- Carry clothes according to the weather, as the temperature also dips in the evening during the summer.