Located in the western ghats of Maharashtra, Khandala is a stunning hill station. It is frequently visited by tourists for its serene lakes, lush green valleys, and mesmerizing hills. You can visit Khandala to relax away from the city buzz. This hill station is very well-connected by all means of transport and can be easily accessible by tourists. Khandala is a popular getaway from Mumbai and can be reached via road. Good railway connectivity connects Maharashtra to other parts of the country.
How to Reach Khandala -
- Khandala by Air - The nearest domestic airport is in Pune (approx. 66 km away). The closest international airport to this hill station is in Mumbai (approx. 86 km away). Both these airports are connected with all the important cities in India and also throughout the world. Once you reach, take a taxi or bus to reach Khandala.
- Khandala by Train - The nearest railway station to Khandala is Lonavala Railway Station (approx. 5 km away). This train station is connected by all local trains from Mumbai and Pune. You can easily catch a train from these cities to Lonavala. After arriving, take hire buses or taxis to reach Khandala. Khandala has its own station as well and most trains coming from Mumbai city stop here.
- Khandala by Road - You can reach Khandala by road via Mumbai-Pune Expressway and the National Highway 4. The roads to Khandala offer a smooth ride. You can get state-run (Maharashtra State Transport) or private buses that move frequently to this hill station. You can also enjoy a long drive to Khandala in your own car.
How to Reach Khandala from Mumbai
There are several state-run and private buses that run from Mumbai to Khandala. You can hire air-conditioned Volvo buses or go for non-ac buses. The journey is extremely pleasant with scenic views along the way.
- Route: Mankhurd Link Road/Jeejabai Bhosale Marg to Bengaluru - Mumbai Highway/Mumbai Highway/Mumbai - Pandharpur Rd/Mumbai - Pune Highway/Sion - Panvel Expressway - Pen - Khopoli Road. Exit from Bengaluru - Mumbai Hwy/Mumbai Hwy/Mumbai - Pandharpur Road/Mumbai - Pune Highway - NH 48 in Khandala, Lonavala
- Distance: 80 km (approx.)
- Duration: 1 hour, 54 minutes (approx.)
- Road conditions: Mumbai to Khandala roads are pretty smooth and safe. However, there are several dangerous curves in the Ghat area.
- Tourist Attractions along the route: Jewel of Navi Mumbai, Sunil’s Celebrity Wax Museum, Red Carpet Wax Museum, Sausage Hill, Shri Vireshwar Temple
- Places to eat along the route: Rasoi Family Restaurant and Bar, Persian Darbar, Hare Krishna Hotel, KFC, Hotel Captain Bar and Restaurant, Vasundhara Restaurant
Several trains run from Mumbai to Khandala on a daily basis. This is probably the cheapest way of traveling. Take a bus or taxi from the station to reach your destination.
Some trains available from Mumbai to Khandala:
- Deccan Express (11007)
- Koyna Express (11029)
- Sahyadri Express (11029)
How to Reach Khandala from Pune
Take a scenic journey from Pune to Khandala and witness the beauty of Sahyadri ranges. Take a taxi, bus or travel on your own. The Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) runs AC and non-AC seater/sleeper buses daily from Pune to Mumbai.
- Route: Ganeshkhind Road - Baner Highway Side Road - NH48 - Pimpri-Chinchwad - Bengaluru - Mumbai Highway/Mumbai Highway/Mumbai - Pune Highway/Mumbai - Pune Expressway - Khandala, Lonavala
- Distance: 70 km (approx.)
- Duration: 1 hour, 28 minutes (approx.)
- Road conditions: The road conditions from Pune to Khandala are well-maintained and easy to drive on. There are 6-lane roads that are high-speed and cause heavy traffic. Remember that the route leading to Khandala is prone to landslides.
- Tourist Attractions along the route: Chattushringi Mandir, Lal Mahal, Late Sanjay Mahadeo Nimhan Gram Sanskruti Udyan, Pataleshwar Temple, Pashan Tekdi
- Places to eat along the route: Little Italy Restaurant, Way Down South, Spice Kitchen - JW Marriott Hotel, Mummy’s Homely Food, Sentosa Multi-Cuisine Restaurant
Traveling from Pune to Khandala via train ensures a smooth and hassle-free ride. You can enjoy the stunning views of lush green valleys. There are several trains that run along this route starting from Pune Junction and dropping you at Khandala Railway Station.
Some trains available from Pune to Khandala:
- Siddheshwar Express (12116)
- Mahalaxmi Express (17412)
- Sinhagad Express (11010)
- Deccan Express (11008)
How to Reach Khandala from Nashik
Driving in your own car or taking a bus is the easiest way to reach Khandala from Nashik. You can have a great time with your loved ones inside with beautiful views outside.
- Route: Nashik Freeway - NH160 - Mankoli Bridge - NH160/NH 48 - Saket-Kalwa Road - Thane-Belapur Road - Bengaluru - Mumbai Highway/Mumbai Highway/Mumbai - Pune Highway/Mumbai - Pune Expressway - Pen - Khopoli Road - NH 48 - Khandala, Lonavala
- Distance: 223 km (approx.)
- Duration: 4 hours, 36 minutes (approx.)
- Road conditions: The roads are quite decent from Pune to Nashik.
- Tourist Attractions along the route: Pandav Leni, Myanmar Gate, Ganesh Ghat, Mumbra Waterfall, Sundarnarayan Temple
- Places to eat along the route: Haji Darbar Restaurant, Wasan Hotels, Spicedella Restaurant, Kamats Hotel, FoodPath
Traveling from Pune to Khandala via train ensures a smooth and hassle-free ride. You can enjoy the stunning views of lush green valleys. There is a train that runs from Nashik to Lonvala and takes about 5 hours, 34 minutes to arrive. You have to hire a bus or cab to reach Khandala from Lonavala.
Some trains available from Nashik to Lonavala:
- BSL-Pune Express (11025)