Baltal is a charming valley lying in the foothills of Zoji la Pass. It is 15 kms drive to Sonamrg. It is on route to Amarnath and pilgrims stop here while going to Amarnath. The holy cave is just a day journey from here. The trek from here is very steep and therefore needs great caution and care.Several snow bridges on the fast flowing streams are to be crossed and during rains and the road become slippery. At Baltal Ponies/Dandies/Pack ponies /porters are available for further journey to Amarnath.
Baltal Tour Packages
Best Baltal Holiday Packages
Faqs of Baltal Tour Packages
Ques: Where is Baltal located?
Ans: Baltal is located near Sonmarg on the Sind River at the base of Zojila pass in Jammu and Kashmir. Sonmarg is around 15 km away and Srinagar is approx. 105 km from Baltal which takes 4 Hrs drive. Baltal is a small valley that serves as a camping ground for the Amarnath pilgrims.
Ques: Why Baltal is a famous destination?
Ans: Baltal is famous for being a major camping ground for the Amarnath pilgrims. It offers an amazing scenic view of the lush green valley and it is a popular destination among trekkers and adventure enthusiasts. Baltal offers a shorter and alternate route to the sacred Amarnath Cave due to which many base camps are set up at this site for Amarnath pilgrims.
Ques: How can we reach Amarnath Cave from Baltal?
Ans: The Amarnath Cave is just 14 km from Baltal and the distance can be covered by foot and Ponies. However, sticks are also available for handicapped and old aged pilgrims. Tourists can also take helicopter services from Baltal that will drop the tourists at Panjtarni which is situated around 5 km from Amarnath Cave. After reaching Panjtarni, you can trek (2 hrs. walk) or you can hire a palki, pony to reach the holy cave.
Ques: Can we reach Amarnath Cave by Helicopter from Baltal?
Ans: Shree Amarnathji Shrine Board provides Helicopter Services for Amarnath Darshan. Tourists can book helicopters from Baltal which will land at Panjtarni Helipad which is approx. 5-6 km from Amarnath Cave. After reaching Panjtarni Helipad, you can hire a palki or pony, else you can trek (2 hrs. walk) to reach the Amarnath holy cave.
Ques: How can we reach Amarnth Cave from Panjtarni?
Ans: The Journey from Panjtarni which is a helipad base till Amarnth Temple needs to be covered on foot or ponies. Panjtarni is approx. 5-6 Kms from the Cave.
Ques: How can we reach Baltal?
Ans: There are three ways to reach Baltal, given as below:
- By Air: The nearest airport is Srinagar which is at approx. 105 km and will take approx. 4 hrs to reach Baltal.
- By Train: The nearest railway station is Jammu which is 356 km from Baltal. It is not possible to drive to reach Baltal directly from Jammu, hence, you need to stay at Srinagar/Sonmarg for overnight. The distance between Srinagar to Baltal is 100 km by Road and Udhampur railway station is another railway station from where people can reach Baltal. The distance between Sonmarg to Baltal is 13 km by road.
- By Road: Jammu is situated at 356 km and Srinagar is at 105 km from Baltal. The road is well-connected with the major cities of the Jammu & Kashmir and other Northern states. People can drive till Baltal or catch a state road transport bus from Jammu as well as from Srinagar. You can drive till Baltal and enjoy the scenic views on the way.
Ques: Can we get Accommodation at Baltal?
Ans: You will get Tented Camp at Baltal but Indian Holiday recommends you to stay at Sonmarg where you will get good accommodation.
Ques: How far Sonmarg is from Baltal?
Ans: Sonmarg to Baltal is at approx. 15 Kms and take half an hour drive.
Ques: How far Srinagar is from Baltal?
Ans: Srinagar to Baltal is at approx. 100 Kms and take 4 hour drive.
Ques: How many days do you recommend for Amarnath Yatra from Baltal?
Ans: It depends on whether you are going by Trek or Helicopter. By Helicopter, you need minimum 02 Nights from Baltal whereas 04 Nights will be required to visit Amarnath by Trek.
Indian Holiday offers you couple of Packages for Amarnath Yatra from Baltal which can be booked from the following links:
Ques: What is the best time to visit Baltal?
Ans: The best to visit Baltal is from May till September. During these months, the climate remains quite pleasant and favorable for outdoor activities. However, June to August is the peak time to visit because during this time the Amarnath Yatra starts.
Ques: What are the sightseeing places we can visit from Baltal?
Ans: Baltal is a base for Amarnath Yatra and most of the tourists are coming here to visit this holy cave. Some of the nearby sightseeing places you may visit are as follows:
- Amarnath Cave: It is one of the holiest shrines which is located at just 14 km away from Baltal. Amarnath cave is one of the main religious places of Lord Shiva.
- Sonamarg: It is famous for loveliest flower collection and tourists can enjoy the natural beauty, lake, and green valley.
- Pahalgam: This valley town is famous for its beautiful environs, lush green natural beauty, vast valleys, towering mountains, and an appropriate climate.
- Srinagar: The summer capital of J&K, Srinagar is snuggled on the bank of Jhelum River. It is famous for lakes, gardens, and houseboats (Shikara).
Ques: Can we have an Itinerary along with Baltal and nearby other attractions?
Ans: Indian Holiday offers you a package which includes couple of nearby Sightseeing places what you can visit along with Baltal. This package can be booked from following link: