Sonamarg is located at a distance of 81kms from Srinagar . The name Sonamarg signifies 'golden road' and the tourists who take a tour to Sonamarg will truly agree that the journey to Sonamarg valley is equally exciting and wonderful as it is located amidst the green valleys and golden meadows on the banks of the river Indus. The surrounding green valleys are covered with woodlands of fir and pine trees and the valley gets colored with innumerable flowers. Pilgrims on their journey to Amarnath pass through the valley of Sonamarg. Major tourist attractions of Sonmarg are Thajiwas region covered with snowy glaciers offering panoramic view of valley, Vishnasar lake and Krishnasar lake and Zozi la Pass - located at an altitude of 3,540m and is considered to be the gateway of Ladakh.
Sonamarg Tour Packages
Temperature checking and regular screening is carried out for Hotel Staff, Guests, Drivers, and Guides.
Best Sonamarg Holiday Packages
FAQs of Sonamarg Tours
Ques: Where is Sonamarg located?
Ans: Sonmarg hill station is about 90 kilometres North-East from the summer capital Srinagar, the Indian Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir.
Ques: Which is the nearest airport to reach Sonamarg?
Ans: You need to arrive at Srinagar airport which is around 100 kilometres & takes approx. 3.5 hrs. to reach Sonamarg.
Ques: Can I go to Pahalgam from Sonamarg?
Ans: Drive from Sonmarg to Pahalgam is quite a long journey as the distance is around 170 kilometres which includes hill as well as plane surface. You can cover the distance in around 06 hrs. or more.
Ques: Can you suggest places to visit in Sonamarg?
Ans: Sonamarg is encompassed with serene glaciers, snow-laden peaks, and shimmering lakes. This place thrives with a plethora of tourist attractions. Here is a list of best places to visit in Sonamarg:
- Thajiwas Glacier: If anyone looking for hiking, trekking, and camping, Thajiwas Glacier is one of the best Sonmarg attractions that one must not miss.
- Zoji-La Pass: Located at an altitude of 3528 m above the sea level, it is a very important link between Kashmir and Ladakh.
- Vishansar Lake: It is one of the famous oligotrophic lake (lake that contain high amount of oxygen), this lake is also known as the "Lake of Vishnu".
- Baltal Valley: This valley offers stunning views of the snow-coated mountains at a distance of just 15 kilometers from the town of Sonmarg. It is also famous as a point from where the famous Amarnath yatra begins.
Ques: What is the best time to visit Sonamarg?
Ans: The months from March to August is considered as the best time to visit Sonamarg. During this period two seasons are covered i.e. spring (March till mid-May) and summer (Late May till August). The blossoms of spring and the cool weather of summer creates the perfect season to visit Kashmir during this time.
Ques: Can we do Amarnath yatra from Sonamarg?
Ans: Yes, you need to plan your trip in July-August if you wish to embark on a holy sojourn of Amarnath Yatra from Sonamarg. From Sonamarg, you need to go Baltal which is only 15 Kilometres from and the rest of the distance can be covered by trek as well as by helicopter.
Ques: What are the other popular places I can visit along with Sonamarg?
Ans: Along with Sonamarg you can visit other three beautiful tourist places in Kashmir i.e. Srinagar, Pahalgam & Gulmarg.
Ques: How far is Gulmarg from Sonamarg?
Ans: Gulmarg is at a distance of around 130 kilometres from Sonamarg, which takes approx. 4 hrs. drive.
Ques: How many days are required to visit Sonamarg?
Ans: To visit Sonamarg one to two days are sufficient. Generally tourist visit this place by doing a day excursion from Srinagar.
Ques: How many days are required to visit Srinagar, Sonamarg, Gulmarg & Pahalgam?
Ans: To cover them all you need six days which is an optimum duration for your Kashmir trip. Check out our Srinagar, Sonamarg, Gulmarg & Pahalgam tour packages.
Ques: Can you suggest some tours which covers Sonamarg in it?
Ques: Give a general idea of weather in Sonamarg?
Ans: Check out the weather details about Sonamarg below:
- Summers May to Jun 10°c – 20°c
- Monsoon Jul to Sep 02°c – 12°c
- Winters Nov to Apr -08°c – 18°c
Ques: What to buy in Sonamarg?
Ans: Sonamarg is a picturesque town and a popular tourist attraction of Jammu & Kashmir. There are various things which tourists can take home as a souvenir. The best things to buy in Sonamarg are:
- Kashmiri Shawls which are prepared by wool, pashmina and shahtoosh. These are high quality shawls which are light in weight but provides high amount of warmness.
- You can look to buy Kashmiri handicraft such as Kashmiri hand knitted carpet, which are made in both wool and silk.
- Wood carving is also very famous in Kashmir, especially as a gift for your loved ones, which includes jewellery boxes, photo frames, cigarette/cigar boxes and many other courses.
- Moreover, you can also buy silver tea-sets, flower vases, lavatory sets, perfumes, decorative frames, glasses etc.