Ponmudi, meaning Golden Peak, is a hill station in Thiruvananthapuram district of Kerala in South India. Ponmudi is a part of the Western Ghats mountain range that runs parallel to the Arabian Sea. The here are also very famous. Ponmudi provides ample scope for trekking and long leisurely walks. The green hills, winding roads, pretty cottages, vibrant birds and butterflies flying through the spice plantations and tea estates make Ponmudi an ideal destination on a Kerala tour. Come on a Ponmudi Tour, and you will have a memorable experience exploring this beautiful hill station.
Tourist Attractions in Ponmudi
Following are some of the famous tourist attractions in Ponmudi, which you can explore while on a Ponmudi Tour -
- Agasthyarkoodam: This 2000 feet high peak is famous for its wilderness, and can be accessed only with permission from the Forest Department. Meenmutti waterfall is an eminent attraction in the range.
- Golden Valley: A small yet picturesque viewpoint, adorned by well-rounded pebbles and lush green trees, this is an access-point to the River Kallar.
- Aaranmula Boat Race: On the occasion of the Aaranmula Temple Festival, this boat race is organized every year in Aaranmula village in the months of August and September.
- Varkala: This important Hindu center of pilgrimage is also a popular and scenic beach. Lofty cliffs and mineral-water springs beautify the beach. The 2000-year-old Janardanaswamy Temple and the Nature Center are the prime attractions of Varkala.
How to reach Ponmudi
Come on a Ponmudi Tour, using the following means of transport -
- By air: The nearest airport is the Thiruvananthapuram International Airport (67 km).
- By rail: The closest railhead is the Thiruvananthapuram Central Railway Station (61 km).
- By road: Well-connected by an excellent network of roads, Ponmudi is linked to all major towns in South India. You can avail of buses, cabs, and auto-rickshaws to look around Pommudi.