Pragpur in the stunning Kangra valley of Himachal Pradesh is the first World Heritage Village of India. Garli and Pragpur together make the Heritage Zone. The gabled houses along undulating roads display a medieval heritage which attracts tourists from all over the world. Indianholiday.com brings you the details to tour to Pragpur.
How to get to Pragpur
Regular buses from nearby towns and cities make Pragpur easy to reach. Nearby places include:
- Dharamshala - 59 kilometers from Pragpur
- Una - 60 kilometers from Pragpur
- Pathankot - 120 kilometers from Pragpur
- Amritsar - 170 kilometers from Pragpur
- Chandigarh - 180 kilometers from Pragpur
- Shimla - 191 kilometers from Pragpur
You can board a train to Una, Pathankot, Chandigarh or Amritsar and then take the road to Pragpur
The nearest domestic airport is Gaggal in the Kangra valley, 45 kilometers away. Amritsar has the nearest international airport.
Where to stay and eat in Pragpur
The most popular hotel in Pragpur is Judge's Court Heritage Hotel. You can expect to stay in a well furnished room with modern facilities. The hotel staff is warm and food is excellent. Other hotels include Kamal Guest House and Heritage Inn.
Shopping in Pragpur
Pragpur is famous for Himachali handicrafts. Artisans in the village make beautiful shawls and exquisite silverware. Buy them in the Pragpur market.
What to see in Pragpur
The Kangra valley attracts tourists from all over the world to view its picturesque lesser Himalayan vegetation, meandering streams and magnificent monuments. These monuments are in or near Pragpur and include:
- Jwalamukhi temple - it is one of the 51 Shaktipeeths in India
- Maharana Pratap Sagar Dam - it is a magnificent construction across the Beas river
- Taal - it is a pond at the center of the village and the complex around it houses the Dhuni Chand Bhardial Serai, Naun, Nehar Bhavan and Radha Krishna Temple.
- Butail Niwas - it is more than a century old and displays a blend of colonial and north Indian architecture
- Kaleshwar Mahadev - it is a famous pilgrimage destination 6 kilometers away from Pragpur
Nearby getaways or tourist attractions in Pragpur
The getaways from Pragpur include:
- Kangra Fort - 45 kilometers from Pragpur, it is the largest and probably the oldest fort in India
- Haripur Fort - 30 kilometers away from Pragpur, this fort is surrounded by snow capped mountains and scenic views
- Chamunda Devi Temple - 75 kilometers away from Pragpur, this temple is frequently visited by Hindu pilgrims
- Palampur - it is a hill station about 80 kilometers away, famous for its tea estate
- Dharamshala - 59 kilometers from Pragpur, it is a beautiful hill town famous for its Buddhist monasteries and Tibetan market.
Things to do in Pragpur
Tourists can have a lot of fun in Pragpur. Activities include:
- Water Sports - Fishing, swimming, boating and water surfing are the water activities at the reservoir of the Maharana Pratap Sagar Dam
- Adventure Sports - Trekking and nature trails on the Kangra valley are popular activities in and around Pragpur