The lovely town of Thekkady is home to the Periyar Tiger Reserve, which is situated in the lap of the Western Ghats close to the boundary of Kerala and Tamil Nadu. All lovers of nature and wildlife can have a once-in-a-lifetime experience at this location. Thekkady is the destination for a thrilling, action-packed safari. Thekkady is renowned for its wildlife sanctuary, spice plantations, trekking trails, and bamboo rafting in the Mullaiperiyar dam catchment area. Due to its wide range of attractions, Thekkady draws visitors from all over the world.
Looking for directions to Thekkady? These are your choices.
The closest airport is Madurai Airport, which is located 136 kilometres from Thekkady. Another choice is to fly into Cochin International Airport, which is 190 kilometres from Thekkady. Almost all of the major airlines offer flights from the nation's major cities to these two airports. When you arrive at either airport, you can take a bus or a private cab directly to Thekkady.
As was previously said, Thekkady lacks a railway station. However, you can take a train to Kottayam Railway Station, which is around 114 kilometres away. To go to Kottayam, you can either try to get a direct train or take a train from Trivandrum. You can hire private taxis, cabs, or conventional buses to Thekkady after arriving at the railway station.
Travel by bus is actually the most expensive way to get to Thekkady, but it's also the most interesting way to get to this picturesque tourist destination. From popular locations like Kochi, Trivandrum, Kottayam, Munnar, Alleppey, Mysore, Mangalore, Bangalore, and others, you may take a regular bus to Thekkady. You have two options for transportation: normal private buses or government buses. Trips to Thekkady from major cities can be efficiently planned via road.
Travel by Own Car
It's a unique experience to drive through the picturesque countryside, which is covered with forests and plantations that produce tea. One can easily get a taxi from places like Cochin, Madurai, Trivandrum, Munnar, and Kottayam, or they can get in their car and drive themselves to Thekkady. Don't forget to keep your camera at the ready to take shots of the beautiful scenery as you travel to Thekkady. Additionally, keep in mind to bring an extra 10 to 20 litres of gasoline or diesel in case you run out because there isn't a gas station nearby.
Munnar to Thekkday by Road
Passing through the scenic Western Ghats, the Munnar to Thekkady travel route is a beautiful journey. This popular tourist trail enjoys views of hills, tea plantations, and cardamom estates.
|Munnar to Thekkady by road
|1st route : Munnar – Devikulam – Pooppara – Udambanchola – Thekkady
|3 -4 hours
|2nd route: Munnar – Chithirapuram – Anachal – Rajakkad – Karitode – Nedumkandam – Thekaddy
- Road Conditions: Though the road from Munnar to Thekkady is beautiful, it is very narrow. One must drive very carefully.
- Attractions along the route — The Blossom Hydel Park, Nala, Sunset View Point
- Restaurants along the route - Bamboo Cafe, Coffee Garden Rooftop restaurant, Kitchen Utopia
Alleppey to Thekkday by Road
Capturing the essence of God's Own Country, Alleppey to Thekkady is a scenic route. Pass through the famous backwaters and plantations of cardamom, tea gardens, cocoa, rubber, and coffee.
|Alleppey to Thekkady by road
|Fastest route : Alappuzha - Changanassery - Pulickal Kavala - NH183 - Thekkady
|4 hours 14 minutes
- Road Conditions: The roads between Alleppey and Thekkady are wide and offer smooth rides along with stopovers for food and sightseeing.
- Attractions along the route — Connemara Tea Factory, AVT Carady Goody Tea Outlet,, Valanjanganam Waterfalls, Pullupara and Panchalimedu.
- Restaurants along the route—Gowri Restaurant, Avees Puttu House, Venice Restaurant, Memories Multi Cuisine Restaurant, Kuttanad.
Kottayam to Thekkday by Road
The drive from Kottayam to the wildlife haven of Thekkady is a famous one that allows people to experience the bliss of Kerala.
|Kottayam to Thekkady by road
|Fastest route : Kottayam - Pampady - Kanjirappally - Kuttikkanam - Thekkady
|3 hours 3 minutes
- Road Conditions: From Kottayam to Thekkady the road passes through hilly terrainterrain; therefore, therefore narrow roads but picturesque sights. However, fuel stations are very few as are food stops and attractions.
- Attractions along the route — Poruthamana Hill View, Aruvikuzhy Waterfalls, Abraham’s Spice Garden, Valanjankanam Waterfalls
- Restaurants along the route — Spice Garden, Bamboo Cafe, Sora Grill & Gossip, Ebonys Cafe Restaurant, Dosa De Thekkady, Grandma's Cafe.
Bangalore to Thekkday by Road
Escape the hustle-bustle of cities and the schedules of daily life and enter into the heart of nature and wildlife. The route offers breathtaking views, historical attractions, and beautiful temples that enhance your journey.
|Bangalore to Thekkady by road
|Fastest route : Bengaluru - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Thekkady, via NH 44 and NH 183
|9 hours 21 minutes
- Road Conditions: The route is smooth with wide roads. The drive is long so one must be very careful and make stops for food and rest.
- Attractions along the route — Sri Kalyana Venkataramana Swamy Temple, Dindigul Rock Fort, Soundararaja Perumal Temple, Thadikombu, Elephant Junction
- Restaurants along the route—JW Kitchen, Alba, Cafe Toit, Gani Hotel, Sangeeth Sagar.