Placed at a distance of about 3 km eastwards of Ambalappuzha in the Alappuzha district, there is a sleepy yet mesmerizing Karumadi village that is home to the Karumadi Kuttan temple, a popular one in the region. The temple is dedicated to the Lord Buddha and contains an 11th-century idol of the Lord. This black-colored granite idol has Lord Buddha sitting, but the statue's left hand is missing. This famous Buddhist religious site in Kerala has a few legends connected to it. The locals believe that the idol has healing powers. Kerala's Archaeological Department now manages the site. Buddhism has shown its presence in several places in southern India. This temple is an example of the same.
Nearest railway station: Ambalapuzha, about 4 km; Alappuzha, about 17 km.
Nearest airport: Cochin International Airport, about 101 km away.
Best Time to Visit Karumadi Temple in Alleppey?
In Alleppey, Kerala, the best months to visit the Karumadi Kuttan are from October to February since the weather is tolerable.
How to reach Karumadi Temple in Alleppey
Less than 5 kilometers separate the Karumadi Kuttan from Alleppey's city center. In order to go to the village of Karumadi, you can either take an auto rickshaw or hire a cab. You can also take a short hike to the village and discover the wonders of nature in a totally different way.
Things to do at Karumadi temple in Alleppey
- Enjoy a beautiful stroll around the village of Karumadi's winding streets.
- Look closely at the Lord Buddha statue that has cracked.
- Try some of the village restaurants' delectable regional cuisine.
- Since you'll be visiting a sacred Buddhist shrine, dress appropriately to show your respect.
- Try the fresh coconut water that is offered in many of the businesses in the village of Karumadi instead of purchasing a bottle of iced beverage when you are thirsty.
- Famous For: Religion, History, Mythology, Nature, Photography.
- Entry Fee: No fee is required for barring.
- Visiting Time: Preferably from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.
- Visiting Duration: 30 minutes to 1 hour.
If you are planning to visit Karumadi temple in Alleppey, then you must check out our Alleppey tour packages.