Housing the High Court of Bangalore, Attara Kacheri is located just opposite the Vidhana Souda and was built way back in 1867. One of the most popular attractions of Bangalore, this red-colored structure is quite popular for its Gothic Style of architecture. Also known as the High Court Building, this 2-storied building was constructed in the European classical style, and still holds an alluring charm.
Locally called the Attara Kacheri, it is the High Court of Karnataka state and translated to ‘eighteen office/departments’. Formerly known as the Old Public Office, it had the office of general revenue and the secretariat of the state government. It was then known as Mysore High Court till the year 1973. The recognition of conceptualization the plan of this building goes to Mr. Bowring, the then commissioner of Mysore State. The constructed was headed by Rao Bahadur Arcot Narayanaswamy Mudaliar.
This deep red stone structure was construction in the 19th century. Built in Gothic style of architecture, its Corinthian columns were completed in the year 1864. The red color of the building forms an amazing contrast with the white-colored Vidhana Soudha. From 1868 till 1956, the court had several Public Office placed in it that was later shifted to Vidhana Soudha. And this building was then the High Court of the state of Karnataka. The portrait of Sir Mark Cubbon, Commissioner of Mysore (1834-1861) adorns the ceiling of the central hall.
Visveswaraya Industrial and Technological Museum. Public Library, the Venkatappa Art Gallery, and the Government Museum are the other attractions, which are located nearby.
Location: Opposite Vidhana Soudha in Cubbon Park
Attraction: Gothic style of architecture
Visiting Hours: 10:00 AM – 05:00 PM (Closed on Sunday)
Fee: Free Entry