The tallest plunge waterfall in India, Nohkalikai Falls, is one of the most photogenic places to visit in Meghalaya. It drops from a height of 1115 feet into a pool that changes color from blue to aqua to green. Nohkalikai means ‘Ka Likai’s Leap’ in the Khasi language. The distance from Cherrapunji to Nohkalikai Falls is approx. 7 km and can easily be reached in 20 minutes by cab or taxi.
The water plunging from such a height is a beautiful sight to behold. There are viewpoints from where you can capture the breathtaking views of Nohkalikai Falls. The water flow is profuse in summer and recedes to a small stream in the winter months, which almost looks like a white rope against the green forest. However, the sight and the surroundings remain picturesque and are a must-see.
There is a legend behind the Nohkalikai Falls, which we will get into in a second, but before that, you must know there are many fun and adventure activities to perform here. For instance, camping, trekking, bird watching, landscape photography, swimming, and angling. Some steps lead you to the base of the Nohkalikai Falls but end midway and a trekking trail take you the rest of the way. You can enjoy the exploration of Nohkalikai Falls with Cherrapunji tour packages which are customizable. You can contact our travel experts and book a tour with us!
Here is everything you must know about Nohkalikai Fall in Meghalaya
- Fall Timing: You can visit Nohkalikai Falls any time from 9 am to 5 pm
- Duration: 1 to 2 hours
- Entry Fees: INR 20 is charged to see Nohkalikai Falls and INR 20 for the camera.
Nohkalikai Falls Legend
Best Time to Visit Nohkalikai Falls
October to December and March to May is the best time to visit Nohkalikai Falls. The weather is pleasant during this time and you can witness clear skies and fast-flowing waterfalls in its full glory.
How to Reach Nohkalikai Falls
Places to Stay in Cherrapunji
You will find different types of accommodation in Cherrapunji – guesthouses, resorts, cottages, and homestays. They offer decent to great services and offer you time to connect with nature.
Here are some places to stay in Cherrapunji near Nohkalikai Falls –
- Polo Orchid Resort (6.2 km)
- Ibankordor Jungle Resort (6.8 km)
- San Nael La Resort (4.2 km)
- Sulawado Resort (3.5 km)
Places to Visit near Nohkalikai Falls
Here are some of the places to visit around Nohkalikai Falls for a memorable experience –
- Rainbow Falls (1 km)
- Mawsmai Cave (11 km)
- Cherrapunji View Point (9 km)
- Wah-Kaba Falls (8 km)
- Wei Sawdong Waterfall (13 km)
- Double Decker Living Root Bridge (22 km)
Tips for Visiting Nohkalikai Falls
- Hire a licensed guide for the trek,
- Take out an entire day if you want to trek to the falls.
- Always carry a raincoat with you.
- If you walk further from the Nohkalikai viewpoint, you can see Bangladesh.
- Shop for local spices, handicrafts, and honey from the market at the parking lot near the Nohkalikai Viewpoint.