The Himalayan terrain is replete with lakes, rivers, and waterfalls. Almost at every bend of the road, you will encounter a waterfall or Beas with its many sub-tributaries that seem to travel with you wherever you are traveling in Himachal. The perennial glaciers feed these lakes and rivers, which have their base in the higher altitude. For example, Chamera Lake is situated in the Chamba district and is a reservoir constructed on the river Ravi.
The Chamera Hydel Electric Project is one of the main hydel projects of Himachal Pradesh, and the whole state benefits likewise. The lake is well served by a network of roads, making human communication possible throughout the area.
Chamera Lake provides irrigation facilities to the many villages scattered in and around Chamera Lake. This lake is a source of sustenance for these villagers with its natural water reserves. This lake is situated amidst verdant pine forests and lustrous valleys.
If you are visiting Chamba or Dalhousie, visit this spectacular lake. Water sports of the varied kind are also practiced here. Sharpen your river rafting skill or simply laze with still water sports in Chamera Lake. You can also explore other attractions of this scenic hill town with our well-crafted Dalhousie tour packages. Contact our travel experts for more information and book a tour with us!
Things to Do at Chamera Lake
- Enjoy water sports like river rafting and motor boating. The Himachal Pradesh Department of Tourism offers them.
- Enjoy boating in the lake.
- Take pictures to cherish later.
- Have a picnic at the banks of the lake with your loved ones.
- Chamera Lake is popular and, thus, is very crowded. To avoid it, visit on a weekday.
- Wear comfortable clothes and footwear as you have to walk around. If you are prone to cold weather, pack a sweater, a shawl, or a jacket.
- You will find food stalls around Chamera Lake.
- Take care of your belongings like mobile, jewelry, wallet, etc.
Ans. You can visit Chamera Lake for 24 hours with no entry fee.
Ans. Some popular destinations near Chamera Lake are
- Chamera Dam
- Bhuri Singh Museum
- Chamunda Devi Temple
- Dainkund Peak
- Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary
- Rock Garden
Ans. Chamera Lake is located around 34 km from Dalhousie and, thus, is easily accessible by road. In addition, private taxis and buses are available from Dalhousie to Chamba, where Chamera Lake is located.
Ans. Khajjiar to Chamera Lake distance is around 55 km, which takes approx. 2 hours to cover.
Ans. For normal boating, the price is INR 400 per person for 30 mins. A speed boat is INR 800 per person for 10 minutes.
Note: Cross-check the prices before visiting.