The historical city of Jaunpur is located on the banks of the river Gomati. Jaunpur district is situated on the northwest side of the district of Varanasi. The history of Jaunpur dates back to 1388, when Feroz Shah Tughlaq, the Sultan of Delhi appointed a eunuch named Malik Sarwar as the governor of the region. Today Jaunpur shares the underdevelopment of a major portion of Eastern Uttar Pradesh.
There are endless tourist attraction spots in Jaunpur which include Sadar Imambara, Jami Masjid, Temple of Sheetla Devi, Tomb of Nawab Ghazi Khan, Lal Darwaza Masjid, Khalis Mukhlis Masjid, Shitla Choukiya Dham, Kadam Rasool, Temple of Mihar Devi, Panje Shareef, Atala Masjid, Trilochan Mahadev Temple, Yamdagni Ashram, Shahi Bridge, Zoological Museum, Archaeological Museum, Botany Museum, Cemetry of seven kings of Sharqi dynasty, Rauza of Shah Firoz, Saikh Burhana Mosque, Walls of Old Kankar Fort of Jauichandra, Jhanjhari Masjid and the list can go on and on. Out of all these places the one that really stands out from the rest is the Shahi Bridge, Jaunpur.
Shahi Bridge, Jaunpur was built in the year 1568 by Munim Khan. Munim Khan was appointed the Governor of Jaunpur in 1567 by the great Emperor named Akbar. Munim Khan aimed at restoring and reconstructing a great number of buildings that were destroyed by the Lodis. He set a personal example by commissioning a number of civic structures around the city so as to encourage the building of civic amenities by his nobles. One such example was the the Shahi Bridge in Jaunpur in India and it was one of the most significant, noteworthy and picturesque Mughal structures in the city.
Shahi Bridge, Jaunpur is built across the Gomati river. The Shahi Bridge, Uttar Pradesh consists ten arched openings that are supported on huge and massive pylons. There is an additional extension of five arches that were built so as to cover the diverted channel. The bridge initially possessed a hammam (public bath house) at the northern end, but it is no longer used and is permanently closed. For providing points on the bridge so that people can stop and gaze at the flowing river below, Chhatris (small pavilions) were built which lined on both the sides of the bridge. In the year 1847 the
Collector of Jaunpur added these to the bridge. Each and every Chhatri lines up with a pylon below. These chhatris project beyond the bridge and are given support below by brackets that transfer the weight to the pylons. The pylons are elongated and extended hexagons in plan with the longer sides supporting the bridge and then there are the skewed sides that support the chhatris above. For preventing the pylons from appearing like some solid mass that has risen up from the river, there were recessed and adjourned rectangular niches with blind arches built on the skewed sides of the pylons.