The Japfu Peak in Kohima is one of the most famous attractions in Nagaland and is proudly a part of the landscape after which Nagaland has been given the title ‘Switzerland of the East’. So, if you are planning a trip to this part of India, make sure to visit the most important places near Kohima. Japfu Peak has surely gained popularity over the last few years. To make your trip to the northeast more fun, trekking and camping at the Japfu Peak are exciting things to indulge in here. So, if you want to know more about Japfu Peak, here is a guide for you.
- B.O.C, P.R. Hill, Kohima, Nagaland
About Japfu Peak
Perched at a height of 3084 meters, Japfu Peak is located nearly 25 km away from Kohima. It is a must-visit as it is the second-highest peak in Nagaland and offers beautiful views of the famous Dzukou Valley. The lush greenery and thick vegetation around are perfect for trekking with a backdrop of the mighty Himalayas. This peak is also called the ‘Valley of Flowers’ in the northeast due to its blooming flowers. Not just this but it is also considered the base of an old volcano.
Nature lovers are going to love the beauty and lush greenery of this place with birds chirping and scintillating views. The lush forest of rhododendron trees is a must-see along with the unique and beautiful Blyth Tragopan bird.
Best time to visit
June to September is considered the best time to visit Japfu Peak. During these months, the flowers here are in full bloom and the valley is a mesmerizing sight for visitors. The weather is also very pleasant during the day and the temperature even drops to 10-degree Celsius at night.
How to Reach Japfu Peak
By air - Reach Dimapur Airport by flight and then hire cabs to reach the starting point of Japfu Peak, Kigwema village.
- Distance from Dimapur Airport to Kigwema village: 77 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 2.5 hours (approx.)
By train - Take taxis from the Dimapur railway station to Kigwema village.
- Distance from Dimapur railway station to Kigwema village: 82 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 3 hours (approx.)
By road - State buses are also available that will take you to Kohima. Once you reach the village located 18 km from Kohima, start hiking leaving behind Japfu Christian College.
Tips for visiting Japfu Peak
- Make sure to carry a few essentials like energy-rich snacks (chocolate, bananas, etc.), 1-3 litres of water, a warm pullover, a headlamp with new batteries, emergency supplies (matches, lighters, sleeping bag)
- There might be leeches on the peak, so carry some salt water in a bottle.
- Inform your loved ones so they know where you are before you begin climbing.
Places to Visit near Japfu Peak
Once the trek is complete to Japfu Peak, check out these places to visit near Japfu Peak. You can go shopping in Kohima and buy local handicraft and pottery as souvenirs for your loved ones.
You can also enjoy the nightlife in Kohima. There are many bars and clubs in the area that offer delectable cuisine with local music going on and a lot of fun. Flamin Wok and Dream’s Cafe are the two most popular restaurants in the area. Visiting Viswema Village and meeting the locals can also be a fun activity.
Places to Stay near Japfu Peak
Here are some hotels near Japfu Peak where you will find comfortable stays are -
- Niraamaya Retreats Aradura Kohima (2.4 m away)
- Hotel Japfu (1.9 km away)