The largest science center on the Indian Subcontinent, Science City is one of the most popular attractions in Kolkata, managed by under National Council of Science Museums (NCSM), Ministry of Culture, Government of India. The first director general of NCSM, Saroj Ghose thought of this idea in the year 1997. The science center was inaugurated in two parts. While the Convention Centre Complex was open to the public by Paul Jozef Crutzen (Noble-Prize winner) on 21st December 1996 along with the then chief minister Jyoti Basu, the entire center was opened on 1st July 1997, by the then Prime Minister of India, Inder Kumar Gujral. On 10th January 2010, the foundation of the second phase of the Science City was laid by the former PM of India, Manmohan Singh, in the presence of Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, the then CM of West Bengal.
Location- Crossing of Eastern Metropolitan Bypass and J B S Haldane Avenue
- General Visitors- INR 40
- Organized Groups- INR 30
- Organized School Groups - INR 20
- Under Privileged Groups- INR 5
Timings- 09:00 AM - 09:00 PM (Closed on Holi)
Founded on-1st July, 1997
Photography: Not allowed
Attractions and Galleries
- Illusions- This wonderful place conducts a permanent exhibition on the area of illusions that contains a number of interesting interactive exhibits. It deals with showing a different kind of visual perception by looking into motion and placement.
- Powers of Ten- This area comprises of 43 exhibits explaining the micro and macro dimensions of the Universe, through different scales of measurement.
- Aquarium- The aquarium comprises of 39 tanks that has aquatic animals, with around 1000 dishes from rivers and lakes, from all across the world. Some of the fish species that can be seen here include gold fishes, silver dollars, pirhanas, silver sharks, native barbs, crocodile fish and more.
- Butterfly Enclave- A wonderful space for colorful live butterflies where they can hatch their eggs and, fly here and there from different plants in search of nectar.
Earth Exploration Hall
Opened for public on 6th December 2008, Earth Exploration hall is a permanent exhibition on Earth that is on display in 2 stories of a hemisphere-shaped building. While the exhibits related to the southern hemisphere are on the ground floor, those related to northern hemisphere are on the first floor. In the middle of the hall, there is a huge globe, encircled by multi-media presentations on several global issues.
The area is divided into 12 equal segments for all the hemispheres and other features such as geology, flora, physical geography, people and so on. There are interactive multimedia presentations, exhibits on different physical phenomena on earth and so on.
Evolution Park is a theme-based tour that spreads in an area of 1300 square m, with seven huge walkways via dioramas that has 26 dinosaurs, 71 robotic pre-historic animals, as well as 140 plant models belonging to different eras. The park showcases the tale of evolution of animal life, mainly the species that are now extinct.
A journey right into the universe, Space Odyssey has3D Theatre, Time Machine, Spinning platform, Mirror-Magic, Space Theatre and other interesting exhibits as well as spaces.
- 3-D Theater- Starting at 11’o clock in the morning, this is a movie show that is based on stereo back projection system so that the visitors can experience 3D effect by wearing special Polaroid spectacles.
- Mirror Magic- It has an entire section that consists of 35 exhibits in the building completely devoted to mirrors of every dimension - plain, concave, and convex. This is a world of optical illusion, ideal for children as well as adults for memorable experiences.
- Time Machine- Installed in the year 1997, Time Machine is motion simulator with 30 seats so that the visitors can have a virtual experience of space flight. This time machine has six degrees of motions along with an amazing visual display.
It is a permanent pavilion, which showcases history of maritime in India, maritime activities, as well as interactive exhibits on shipping and navigation systems. This is a 2-storied structure, shaped like a ship, covering around 700 square meters. There are replicas, ships, sea vessels and models of boats.
Outdoor Science Park
A huge outdoor Science park, it consists of a number of attractions such as Monorail Cycle, exhibits on physical science, Caterpillar ride, musical fountain, children play corner, road train, butterfly nursery, cable cars, and monorail cycle. This space gives a free learning experience to the visitor.
Visitors are allowed to bring their own eatables in the Science City. This picnic garden is an area where the visitors can simply relax and have fun in the lush environment.
Convention Centre Complex
- Main Auditorium: This fully air-conditioned multi-purpose auditorium can accommodate 2232 people at a time. It has a huge stage where around 100 performs can show their talent at one time.
- Mini Auditorium: This fully air-conditioned multi-purpose mini auditorium has a capacity to accommodate 392 people at a time, along with a stage for 30 performers.
- Seminar Building: This complex consists of 8 fully air-conditioned halls spread on 2 floors along with projection, capacious lobby, a pantry and large registration counters. This is an ideal venue for meetings, conferences, workshops and seminars.
- Exhibition Ground- Spanning in a huge area of 26000 square meters, this exhibition ground has food court, conference areas, exhibition space, trade exhibitions, display stalls and so on. There is a huge parking facility too, which can accommodate around 500 cars.