A well-known attraction of Kerala, Vembanad Lake is the longest lake in India and the largest in Kerala. As the lake spans over several districts in the state of Kerala, it is known by different names in different regions like Punnamada Lake in Kuttanad and Kochi Lake in Kochi.
The lake plays host to the famous Nehru Trophy Boat Race which is conducted here during the Onam season. People from different regions participate in the race which makes it a popular event.
The lake is identified under National Wetlands Conservation Programme by the Government. It is home to a wide variety of flora and fauna. One can also spot a variety of migratory birds on the lake. The famous Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary is located on the east coast of the lake.
Vembanad Lake is famous for its backwaters where people can enjoy cruising in beautiful houseboats. The picturesque beauty and tranquility of the lake allures tourists from all over the world. A number of houseboats can be seen lined up on the lake which adds to the beauty of the lake and make it more enchanting.
Best time to visit
November to March is the best time to visit Vembanad Lake. During this time, the weather is pleasant and you can explore the tranquil waters and enjoy the outdoor activities.
How to reach
For a Vembanad Lake tour, you can reach by these means of transport –
- By Air: Cochin International Airport is the nearest airport. It is well-connected with major Indian cities and is situated around 81 km away from the lake.
- By Rail: The closest railhead is the Ernakulam Railway Junction in Kochi. Located approx. 57 km away, it is a busy railway station from where you can get taxis to reach Vembanad Lake.
By Road: You can use public transport services like bus, cab or auto-rickshaw to reach Vembanad Lake by road.
After a delightful time at the Vembanad Lake, here are a few places you can visit nearby -
- Alleppey Beach
- Lake View Point
- Punnamada Lake
- Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary Observatory Tower
- Bay Island Driftwood Museum
- Vembanad Backwaters
- Pathiramanal Island Alappuzha
- Alleppey Backwaters
Vaikom Mahadeva Temple
For a quick snack, head to these restaurants near Vembanad Lake –
- Vembanad Sea Food Bar
- Kilikkodu Toddy Shop and Family Restaurant
- Ettukettu Specialty Restaurant
- Nishant’s Restaurant (Hotel Lake View)
- Lake Lagoon Sea Food Restaurant
- The Waterside – Karma Chakra
- Vembanad Multi-Cuisine Restaurant