Also known asDariya Daulat Palace, the Summer Palace of Tipu Sultan is one of the main tourist attractions near Mysore, in Srirangapatna. While Tipu Sultan was ruling Mysore, for a small span of time, he had shifted his capital to Srirangapatna. However, after Tipu Sultan’s death in 1799, the British shifted back the capital to Mysore and made King Krishnaraja Wodeyar III, the ruler of Mysore. When Tipu Sultan was reigning the region, he had built the Summer Palace in Srirangapatna, which is an island in the Kavery River, around 14 km from Mysore.
Placed amidst the well-maintained garden called Daria Daulat Bagh, Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace was erected in the year 1784. Made mostly in teakwood, this palace has an Indo-Sarcenic style of architecture. Built on an elevated platform, this palace has a rectangular design. It features open corridors on all the sides of the platform that has wooden pillars with plinth. While there are walls on the eastern and western sides, there are bays with pillars on the other two wings that support the roof. The four walls have four staircases, dividing the audience halls at the corner into 4 rooms, forming the central hall, which leads to western and eastern corridors. The pillars, arches, walls and canopies are painted with colorful frescos. While the inner walls have floral and leafy patterns, the outer walls are covered with portraits and events from the battles and floral-patterned canvas is pasted on the wooden ceiling of the palace. After Tipu Sultan’s death, the British administration used this monument as their secretariat, till 1867.
Quite close to this palace are the ruins of the fort where Tipu Sultan died while fighting the British. This fort today contains the Ranganathaswamy Temple and Jama Masjid. Right outside this fort is a Gumbaz that has the tomb of Tipu Sultan, tomb of Haider Ali, father of Tipu Sultan and the tomb his mother.
Tipu Sultan Museum
The top floor of the Palace has the Tippu Sultan Museum that houses a collection of Persian manuscripts, objects related to and Tipu Sultan and European paintings. Another priced possession of this museum is the popular oil paintings done in 1800 by Sir Robert Ker Porter, ‘Storming of Srirangapattanam’. This historical work is a depiction of the war event of the final fall of Srirangapatana that took place on 4th May in the year 1799.
Indians- INR 5
Foreign Tourists– INR 100
Video Camera- INR 25
Still Camera- Free
08:30 AM - 05:30 PM (open all days of the week)
(Note-Children under 15 years are admitted free. Ticket counter is near the main gate.)