Located about 11 kilometers from Hyderabad, the Golconda Fort is one of the most magnificent forts of India. This ruined fortress has a glorious history which dates back to the 12th century.
History of Golconda Fort
It is believed that the construction of the fort began in 1143 during the reign of the Kakatiya Dynasty. The history of the place saw many changes and the Kakatiya rule was taken over by the Warangal and later by the Bahmani Sultanate. After the decline of the Bahmani dynasty, with the coming of the Qutub Shahi kings in 1507, the Golconda Fort gained immense importance.
Originally a mud fort, the Shahi kings expanded the fort and renovated into impressive granite structure measuring about 5 kilometers in circumference. Until 1590, it remained the capital of the Shahi dynasty.
The fortress later fell into the hands of the Aurangzeb in 1687 after the kingdom was taken over by the Mughal forces.
The Golconda Fort is built on a granite hill, which is about 120 meters high. Comprising four walls, 87 semi-circular citadels, 8 gateways, 4 bridges and numerous halls, temples, palaces and mosques, the Golconda Fort is a well-known tourist destination. The entrance of the Golconda Fort is through the Fateh Darwaza or the Victory Gate.