Uttarakhand is blessed with swift mountain rivers perfect for white water rafting. In fact, river rafting is the one of the most popular adventure sports in Uttarakhand. This sport can be enjoyed by amateurs as well as professionals as there are numerous rivers, tracks and levels for all.
Gushing straight from its glacial origins, the rivers are perfect for the thrilling sport of rafting. These rivers flow through challenging terrain of rocky outcrops, mountains, forests, etc. Stretches of Ganga, Yamuna, Saryu, Kali, Gori Ganga, Kosi and Ramganga are ideal for rafting in Uttarakhand.
The velocity of flowing water are rated from I to VI, depending on the level of difficulty. Choose between simple or expert levels. Rishikesh, on the banks of River Ganga, is the most popular site to try out the adventure sport. The Alaknanda and Bhagirathi are the main tributaries of the Ganga confluence at Devprayag. Their waters are of Grade IV to V. Mori is where you go tossing in the turbulent Tons River. The power trip continues till Khunigad from where you can drive back to Mori for campfire and dinner. You can also raft from Barkot to Lakhamandal and Damta to Yamuna Bridge, near Mussoorie.
Over the years, many rafting camps have come up in these locations. Rafting courses are conducted by trained and qualified guides of the Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam (GMVN). The courses includes, rafting, river-guide services, boarding and lodging.
Season for white river rafting in Uttarakhand
The ideal season for rafting is basically throughout the year except the monsoon. March to May is perfect time as the weather is pleasant. Adventure aficionados navigate the waters even in the freezing months of October to January.
River Rafting Stretches in Uttarakhand
- On river Ganga from Kaudiyala – Rishikesh, a stretch of 36 km.
- On river Yamuna, 20 km. stretch from Nain Bag - Yamuna Bridge - Juddo.
- On river Kali / Sharda - Balwakot - Jauljibi -Pancheshwar - Ranakpur, stretch of 95 km.
- On river 30 km. stretch on river Tons, Mori to Tuni.
- On river Gori Ganga - Barhem to Jauljibi rafting stretch of 8 km.
- On river Kosi - Khairna to Mohan, 40 km. rafting and Kumheriya to Ramnagar : 25 Km.
- On river Saryu - Bageshwar to Rameshwar, a stretch of 70 km. and Rameshwar to Pancheswar a rating distance of 20 Km.
- On river Ramganga East - Thal - Nachani – Rameshwar, 80 km. rafting stretch
- On river Ramganga West - Chaukhutia - Bhikiyasain – Marchula, rafting stretch of 90 km.