To see valleys, hills, and mountain ranges covered with snow is a breathtaking view. India being such a diverse country there are multiple places where people can visit to enjoy fresh snowfall every year. And most of those scenic destinations lie in Devbhoomi.
Snowfall in Uttarakhand is a cherishable time for locals and tourists. Both of them enjoy the cozy days and harsh nights with zeal. From adventure lovers to snow sports enthusiasts, honeymooners to winter vacationers; everyone looks for places where they can enjoy the fresh snow.
So, if you too are looking for places to enjoy snowfall in Uttarakhand then keep reading so that you get to know what are the places where you should head in the winter months.
Snowfall in Uttarakhand in December
It generally starts to snow from the last week of November but December is the time when people head out for Uttarakhand to enjoy the snow. The untouched beauty of the Himalayas, hamlets, and villages offer a relaxing and enjoyable time to the visitors. Auli, Tungnath, Dhanaulti, Munsiyari, and Harsil are a few of many places where one can enjoy snowfall in December.
Apart from enjoying the activities, you can also take a trip to some local restaurants. They serve some delicious delicacies that can be enjoyed.
Snowfall in Uttarakhand in January
January becomes chillier and the frequency of snowfalls increases. Places like Auli and Tungnath receive constant snowfall in Uttarakhand making it a perfect ski destination for enthusiasts. A lot of people visit here to enjoy these snowsports, which also includes families on winter vacation. Some other destinations like Mussoorie, Dhanaulti, Ranikhet, and Nainital do get snowfall.
You can walk through the road and enjoy the snowfall. Sit beside your window and enjoy the view. There are some other things as well that can be enjoyed like sightseeing, cable car rides, ice skating, and much more. Look for the activities that can be enjoyed while visiting a destination in Uttarakhand during January.
Snowfall in Uttarakhand in February
From February, snowing gets limited towards the higher altitude regions. It does occasionally snow in the other parts as well during the first week. But if you are planning a trip to Uttarakhand to enjoy snow in February; it is better to head to higher destinations so that you don’t have any problems. There are chances that the lower regions stop getting snow during this month due to drastic changes in climate.
It is also advised that one should keep an eye on the weather forecast because that’s very important. It might just help you in accessing a destination’s forthcoming weather. But rest assured, there are a lot of places where people can enjoy snowfall in Uttarakhand in February.
Snowfall in Uttarakhand in March
The destinations that are at higher altitudes receive snowfall even in the month of March. The nights in places like Chamoli, Champawat, and Auli remain chilly with the temperature still being negative almost throughout the month. People who want to enjoy the sight of fresh snow can visit these places during March. If you are an adventure enthusiast, you can also sign up for a snow trek. One of the most enthralling ones during March is the trek to Tungnath. A lot of people take this trek to experience something enchanting and delightful.
While trekking to this temple you not only get a chance to offer your prayers to the lord but also get a splendid view of the surrounding that includes Trishul Parbat, Nanda Devi Peak, Bandarpoonch, and some other Himalayan Peaks.
Generic Tips to keep in mind
It is always better to get yourself prepared for everything before heading out. When it comes to visiting Uttarakhand during snowfall, here are some quick tips that you must keep in mind.
- If you are taking a road trip before you leave for your destination it is important to keep a tab on the weather conditions. You do not want to get stranded due to bad weather.
- You should keep water bottles easily accessible while you head for trekking or enjoying the snow. Keep drinking small gulps of water every now and then.
- If you are heading out to destinations like Auli, Tungnath, and Munsiyari during winters, it is advised to book your stay beforehand. There are limited staying options and a huge crowd comes to visit here.
- Needless to say, you are going to the Himalayas and winters here can be ruthless at times; especially during the night. So keep enough layers of warm clothes in your bag.
- Water repellent clothes and shoes are also a must to keep yourself warm throughout your trip. It also saves you from feeling uncomfortable.
- Carry your sunglasses because they will safeguard your eyes during the clear sky. It is one of the most important gears when you visit a place with snow all around.
- Keep some good moisturizers and sunscreen in your backpack too. Your skin needs protection from the sun as well as moisturizing because the winds blowing in the mountains are going to be dry.
- If you have any kind of ailment, do not forget to keep the medicines related to the problem in your bag. Also, it is advised to keep some essential medicines in stock related to cold, fever, and cough.
- Carry power banks because your camera and the mobile battery will drain faster. You will get a lot of amazing sights to capture throughout your trip.
- If you have a young child traveling along, make sure to keep them warm by covering their head and feet.